Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Front door speakers - amp location

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2001, 08:59 AM
DaveMcC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following all the good press here, I finally ordered a set of 605cs speakers last night (mcs-direct for £93 + P&P).

From the previous threads (esp John Banks - thanks!) it appears I need to amp these if they're to sound their best, and that then I shouldn't need a sub, nor will I need to upgrade the rear speakers. So, a couple of questions:

1. Can anyone suggest an amp - don't want to spend a fortune, but want to get decent quality from the speakers. Presumably just a 2 channel jobbie will do.

2. Where can/should the amp be mounted? Will it fit under the driver's seat (cd changer already under the passenger seat). How hot does it get - i.e. will I fry my ****!

3. If it will go under the seat, can anyone give me some idiot-proof instructions on how to lift the carpeting and where to run the various cables to/from the amp.

Chiark's site looks very good for the fitting in the front doors - I've got it printed and will follow it!!

Cheers

Dave
Old 19 October 2001, 09:36 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

1 - something in the philips DAP range, preferably a 4 channel such as the DAP600, or whatever it's called now.

2 - the above amp just fits under a seat. It doesn't get terribly hot unless you're trying to drive low impedances (which you aren't)

3 - Yes I'll update that section when I get a chance.

Writing a bid at the moment, so a bit busy, but will update the guide when I get a chance.

Nick.
Old 19 October 2001, 10:31 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Not too sure what amp you'd need, but I'd personally be quite suprised if you didn't need a sub? I don't know which thread it was that thought that a sub wasn't needed, but unless you only listen to pretty light classical I'd have thought it's pretty necessary! If you get a good quality (doesn't need to be expensive, though!) two channel amp that can be split three ways (left/right then drive a sub across the + of one & - of the other) the sound is a lot better. I've been pleasantly suprised recently - my five channel amp went in for a service & I pulled out an old 2 channel Soundstream from the cupboard. Wired it like above & with virtually no adjustment it sounded great - and this from a £100 amp! I wasn't expecting it... and, by the way, the sound is as thin as a, thin thing, when the sub is disconnected.
Anyway, just my thoughts. Probably muddled yours now. How about a compromise where you get an amp capable of running a sub (through a split thingy or 4 channels as Chiark says) & then put off the sub, or skip it entirely if you don't need it? Ooo, all the options!
Old 19 October 2001, 03:02 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

I used this amp with my 605CS, installed under the seat.

Now found a well priced new one Philips DAP 6040 for £139.99 from http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/

You also need to budget for cables as well, power, fuses,speaker cables, RCA cables.

cheers,

greg

think the price is now £149

[Edited by gregh - 10/19/2001 3:03:08 PM]
Old 21 October 2001, 12:57 AM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
I've got 605cs's in the front of MY95 with the X-overs also located in the doors & I found that a vey simple & very effective place to put the tweeters is on the small black triangular bit at the front of the doors near the mirrors (Just enough clearance & a very good sound).

I've got a very small 2 channel Kenwood amp (about the size of two packets of cigarettes) which is fixed under the dash behind the glove box with some ties. You'll find it's very easy to secure it there.

With regards to a sub, the 605cs's give a good bass as long as you sound deaden the doors but it's just not enough if you're playing Hip-Hop & Dance music like me. I suggest a fairly good set of rear shelf speakers that don't need to be amp'd (for rear fill) & a decent amp'd sub in the boot to give a good bass. That along with the 605 drivers in the doors & the directional sound of the tweeters should suffice for a very decent sounding system.

Hope this helps.

MAFFA
Old 21 October 2001, 02:37 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an old set of Infinity 405cs with the crossovers in the doors. They're powered by a Phoenix Gold 2150, stuck under the passenger seat. Doesn't get very warm under there, and it's out of view. I ran the cables down the passenger sill trunking and cut a small slit in the carpet where I wanted them to go under the seat. Take care not to run your power and signal cables side-by-side, you can actually push the power cable down the side of the trunking to keep it out the way, or maybe run your signal cables along the centre tunnel.

Steve.