ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

MP3 changer in place of CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2006, 01:00 PM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 changer in place of CD changer

I've got an older Pioneer head unit (one of those organic display thingies from about 5 years ago) with a 12 CD changer in the boot. I really want to be going down the MP3 route but without changing the head unit. Can anyone suggest a way of being able to use MP3 through my head unit? Is there an MP3 unit that can plug in place of my CD changer? Feel free to laugh - I don't know any better.
Old 08 February 2006, 02:15 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

iPod + car adapter.

plus you're not limited to using it in the car either. Very handy for long haul flights abroad...

Last edited by messiah; 08 February 2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09 February 2006, 07:04 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Don't Pioneer make an MP3 changer that works with older units??

I have an fairly old (5-6 years) Kenwood 8080r head unit with there MP3/CD changer attatched, it sounds great and can control it from my steering wheel, I can get around 110 tracks per cd at 192kbps.

I have one big problem with iPods, that is if you leave it in your car in that little cradle thingy, you can almost guarentee that it will be nicked. You can hide a changer under your seat and the thiefing tow-rags will not see it. Everyone who has sat nav systems leaves the bracket on the windscreen, and Mr. thief comes along and realises that the sat nav is probably in the glove box, goodbye window, goodbye sat nav, the same applies for iPods, great for personal music on the move, not great for car audio.
Old 09 February 2006, 10:05 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

iPods are great for car music

Mine's in the glovebox so well out of site; Alpine interface so no cradle for it (HU provides all the info). I do remove it at night though as it's easy to do.

Like I remove the satnav and cradle for that.

Can't see why anyone would spend out on a changer these days to be honest; why have 6 CDs when you can have hundreds? Why have limited info when you can have artist, album, track names etc.?

Why have something limited to your car when you can have something you can take with you when you get out of the car?

Each to their own though, of course...