Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Rockford Fosgate 8140 - comments

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2001, 01:32 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone come across this competition unit - I may be changing to this very soon - just wondered what people thought of it

It was about £1k brand new, with no thrills but very high voltage pre-outs (sells second hand for about £750)

Do you think I'll notice the difference over my £270 twin pre-out Alpine cd unit

Rest of set up includes:

Genesis 4 channel with sub remote
Dyn Audio 6.5 inch front and tweaters (doors fully sound proofed and very heavy!)
2*10inch M3 Diamond subs in box

I was gonna change to M5's but was told it would rattle the Scoob to death and needed serious sound proofing in the rear
Old 12 March 2001, 08:32 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have a good listen first. You've got excellent kit all round, as you know, so I'd try and have a damn good listen first.

I'd say that your "weakest link" will be the source at the moment, given that you've got a nice amp and good speakers.

For this money, have you considered the Nakamichi unit?

Soundproofing the boot is a nightmare - give up...

Old 12 March 2001, 11:43 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Haven't heard the Rockford but I'd agree with the Nakamichi suggestion - the MB100 is an excellent head unit and one of the best I've heard (costs a grand though)

Other option is a top end Alpine head unit, though I'll declare some bias because I'll be selling my 7939 in the next couple of weeks
Old 13 March 2001, 07:17 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Thanks

Have heard the Nakamichi in my car - no better than my Alpine

I've heard the Rockford in another Scoob and A Beemer and sound clarity was fantastic - something to do with having 8.5v pre-outs

Maybe I wont bother

I've been told that soundproofing the rear makes the sound a bit dull and makes it sound much different (not to some peoples tastes) - anyone any comments
Old 13 March 2001, 09:32 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Soundproofing, and securing the sub box well to the car, has helped the sound of my car. The only reason that it might be duller is that you're not getting resonant frequencies from the panels affecting the sound. You may be finding that you're running your subs at too high a level, hence the "dull" sound.

It certainly hasn't affected the punchiness. Saying that, I've not gone "hardcore" on the sound deadening...
Old 13 March 2001, 01:12 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

I heard a system in a Scoob at Leeds Car Audio, which gave a nice head massage and you could not sit on the rear seats for long without going dizzy

That said this was running a couple of Diamond M5's and a specially made Genesis amp (or was that Amps)

I put on a track from Blade to test out the system (I think everyone knows the one!)

Sound was good - but at a huge cost!

My subs are bolted down but - cant really go any bigger at the moment as it lowers the rear end of the car too much

My only gripe with the Alpine is that the aerial is constantly up. On my previous Alpine unit (a double din unit - CD and Minidisc) the aerial only came up with the Radio on - dont know if this is a feature that can be added on.