ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

pioneer avic-x1r

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2005, 06:57 PM
picasso
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pioneer avic-x1r

hi, anyone fitted a pioneer avic-x1r navigation system. i am thinking of fitting one into a my03 sti uk.are there any problems i should look out for?thanks in advancerog
Old 17 December 2005, 08:04 AM
picasso
Scooby Regular

come on guys the unit is arriving monday or tuesday, any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

rog
Old 23 December 2005, 09:00 AM
Akash
Scooby Newbie

is it too late?

it is difficult to fit this in.
i had my local ice dealer for it in for me... the avic-x1 consists of two units... the main unit with the screen and a hide-away unit. this hide away unit consists of a lot of cables going ot and from the main unit.

there is also the speed pulse unit which is the most difficult part to get working IMO.

not sure what else you want to know really.
i bought a pioneer railing kit that made it more flush in the dash which did wonders for thieves because it no longer looked like a removable unit.

very nice piece of kit, never let me know and the quality of sound, navigation and overal unit itself was A+.

let me know if you need to know more about it
btw i had the Avic-X1 not the X1r which I think is the same but looks different ?
Old 23 December 2005, 09:05 AM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

I fitted mine and I am certainly no ICE genius. When you look at all the cabling it certainly looks difficult but after deliberating about getting it fitted, I did the whole job in a couple of hours.

I would agree that is is difficult to do the speed pulse but the unit will work without it. I found the speed pulse wire by using a manual on the aPexi website.

http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfWiring/3.pdf

Good luck and give it a go yourself. You will certainly find it satisfying when you have completed it and the AVIC-X1R is a good all round unit.
Old 23 December 2005, 09:56 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

buy a tom tom go.

you can easily move it between cars, it works just as well, it doesn't add masses of weight and is far better when it comes fear of leaving £1500 worth of head unit in your car at night.
Old 23 December 2005, 11:24 AM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Akash]is it too late?

not sure what else you want to know really.
i bought a pioneer railing kit that made it more flush in the dash which did wonders for thieves because it no longer looked like a removable unit.

Hi Mate,

What exactly do you mean by a railing kit - what does this do etc.. I have the X1-R in my Sti and had to mount it slightly forward so the screen does not hit the dash. It looks OK but I would prefer a flush fit.

Do you have a part number for this railing kit?

Cheers.
Old 23 December 2005, 02:16 PM
picasso
Scooby Regular

no its not too late for any advice. the unit is still in its boxes due to my local subaru (based in huddersfield) dealer messing me about with the forester dash pocket. i ordered the one with the spring loaded flap but they got me the pocket with no flap, they said it was not available from subaru so i could either take it or leave it! however after looking through the ice forum i found the number for cheam motors gave them a ring on thursday and guess what - no problem getting the correct pocket (from subaru) this is now on its way to me hopefully for delivery next week. hats off to cheam motors for giving great customer service.

cheers & merry x-mas everyone

rog

Trending Topics

Old 23 December 2005, 03:35 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by picasso
no its not too late for any advice. the unit is still in its boxes due to my local subaru (based in huddersfield) dealer messing me about with the forester dash pocket. i ordered the one with the spring loaded flap but they got me the pocket with no flap, they said it was not available from subaru so i could either take it or leave it! however after looking through the ice forum i found the number for cheam motors gave them a ring on thursday and guess what - no problem getting the correct pocket (from subaru) this is now on its way to me hopefully for delivery next week. hats off to cheam motors for giving great customer service.

cheers & merry x-mas everyone

rog

Picasso

I sent you a PM with some advise!
Old 24 December 2005, 07:29 AM
picasso
Scooby Regular

thanks neil w, read it & took note. shuold be ok i have already removed original double din unit & fitted a blaupunkt los angeles mp72 complete with the in dash multi cd changer. the only thigs which did worry me were where to fit the hide away unit & where was the speed pulse connection made - both of which are now sorted

thanks again

rog
Old 30 December 2005, 04:27 PM
picasso
Scooby Regular

finally got this thing installed today, hardest job was getting the reverse sensor wire into the boot from the dash. the radio reception also seems poor - unable to pick up radio 1. has anyone else experienced this problem. all i need now is a degree in advanced instruction manual science.