ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Supressing rattles in the front doors

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 1999, 03:54 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

I have a pair of Kicker 6.5" component speakers fitted in the front doors, and am suffering from a lot on resonances at moderate to high volumes.

Has anyone got any suggestions about how to dampen the vibrations of the waterproof membrane in the door, and the door trim panel?.

I would appreciate some pointers.

Thanks!

Alex
Old 23 June 1999, 04:10 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Alex,

Have you thought about fitting some sort of sound deadening material in the door, such as Dynamat, etc?

I have had it fitted to the doors, and the front speakers now carry much more bass. I can now listen to the stereo lound enough to drown out all the other squecks and creaks!!!

Cheers
Andy
Old 23 June 1999, 04:30 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Alex,

I followed Andys same advice some time ago..not a massively huge improvement, but an improvement nethertheless ! And for £15 you can't really lose.

However, I still had rattles with the trim at high bass (dynamat won't do anything about that!)..solution..to put 1" of foam panel behind the door trim.
it's a tight fit, you may have to get an extra long bolt for the door handle but the tighter it is the better. This also pushes the plastic door covering firmly against the metal taking care of that.

there is also a post on iwoc....
> Then just pull the door panels away from the frame (they are on
> cheap white
> plastic push in clips) but don't bother to take it all the way off. I
> noticed that these clips were not securely fixed to the panel and rattled
> easily in their locators. I stopped this using decorators caulking
> (spelling?) stuck behind the clip. It will be more obvious what I mean by
> that if you look, and there is enough room to press a finger blob of the
> stuff into each gap behind the clip. Then I used several large
> blobs on the
> corners of the door panel before pressing it shut and doing up the screws.
> The front doors are easier but the same principal, although I did find a
> long length of wire with a large plastic plug loose in the drivers side
> door. I pulled it tight and stuck it down with insulating tape and stuck
> the plug to the door with caulking and insulating tape. I discovered that
> this had been a large source of noise by its self.

And then, like me, you'll find that the bass rattles some other place ! Frankly, given the tin-can slapdash mars-bar thickness of the panels and quality of fit you're wasting you're time if you think you'll get rid of them all.

incidentally my sub prevents me using the rearview mirror cos it vibrates so !

Old 23 June 1999, 04:32 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Oh, forgot this also..

make sure the speakers are flush to any mount which is in turn flush to the door. Any air leakages reduce the efficiency of the speaker.

I had to make custom surrounds for the speakers which had a few air gaps. I sealed these with draught excluder and hey presto! big improvement.
Old 23 June 1999, 11:11 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Andy/Lee,

Thanks for the tips - Where can I get dynamat in Central London?.

I think the noise is mainly coming from the waterproofing membrane, so I'm going to try to fix it to the trim panel with a block of foam and some double sided tape. Where did you fit the Dynamat Panel - on the membrane, or the panel?. Sorry if that should be obvious, but I haven't had the courage to dismantle my doors yet. When I do, I should be able to see how well or badly the installers fitted the Mid/Bass driver. There sounds as if there is a midbass suckout so it isn't sealed probably.

BTW, what speakers do you both use in the front, and did you cut the panel to make the opening bigger?. I have 6.5" firing through the normal grill, which can't help - Ditto the 6x9s on the back shelf.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 24 June 1999, 01:28 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

You should be able to get dynamat from any ice retailer..failing that mail order. there's also a product by scosche called acumat which is the same deal.

don't get the spray stuff in cans..apparently it goes everywhere and you'll goose the motors on the windows.

I cut my whole dynamat sheet into 2 strips and put these on the inside of the door skin.

In the front I have 6.5" Cliff Designs (or CD-technologies its all the same) components. They are quite deep so I had to make a custom mount. I have about 4ml clearance from the rear of the speaker to the glass, and the top of the speaker rim touches the interior panels !

In the rear I have some huge 6x9 JBLs this involved cutting some of the rear shelf (they really are monsters !)

see
Old 24 June 1999, 07:47 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Alex,

I went for the latest Kenwood Dual Mag, 6.5" component speakers up front, with the tweeters mounted on the dash, near the bottom of the A-pillar. I was eying up the new Pioneers, but there wasn't enough clearance for the magnet!

They sound good for the money £160, and well on par with the old Boston Acoutic Rally 5.1 speakers I installed into my old Citroen ZX, which cost £200.

I went for a couple of layers on the actual metal of the door, rather than the membrane. I guess I'm lucky, as I haven't had creaky door trim. When that happens, I'll probably do the same as Lee!

Cheers
Andy
Old 25 June 1999, 09:48 AM
Big_Dan
Scooby Newbie

Andy,

Did you leave the Bostons in your Citroen, or won't they fit in the Scoob's door? I have the same Bostons I would like to fit ...
Old 25 June 1999, 10:05 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Dan,

The speakers will fit, but you need to reduce the size of the hole, although the mounting depth is fine. Sounded like more grief than it was worth! Being lazy I went for some new speakers and got someone to do the install for me! (I didn't want to dismantle my new baby!!) It may be worth selling the speakers and getting the 6.5" version.

It was a good advert for the stereo shop as when I turned up they had a white WRX outside, and they knew how to dismantle them! I went to one shop who offered 'to give it a go!'. The installer who did my car is getting an RB5 soon, so he used my car to experiment!

I've still got my old speakers, and may still put them in myself, if I don't grow to like the Kenwoods! (Get the MDF ready!!)

Cheers
Andy