Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Dynamated Today - What a Difference!

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2005, 09:55 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamated Today - What a Difference!

Spent this afternoon slapping dynamat on the front doors today, well chuffed with the results.

Before I could only turn my HU up to around 13 before the rattles got bad, now it goes up to over 20! Having said that, the rears now start to rattle but a quick tweak on the fader sorts that out (maybe one for another day).

Sorry - no pictures 'cos BA have my camera (along with my clothes and a lot of other luggage stuff) at Heathrow. B@rstards.

I stuck one bit behind the woofer (and took the oppurtunity to make a splash guard from tape) but I don't think this has made too much difference.

The main thing was to slap loads on the door card. I stuck some around the woofer grill (and cut off the protruding plastic ring thing) and also put a load behind the door pocket, all the way up to the bottom of the arm rest section. This, I believe, is what was rattling.

Old 15 August 2005, 09:26 AM
grey-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'
Spent this afternoon slapping dynamat on the front doors today, well chuffed with the results.

Before I could only turn my HU up to around 13 before the rattles got bad, now it goes up to over 20! Having said that, the rears now start to rattle but a quick tweak on the fader sorts that out (maybe one for another day).

Sorry - no pictures 'cos BA have my camera (along with my clothes and a lot of other luggage stuff) at Heathrow. B@rstards.

I stuck one bit behind the woofer (and took the oppurtunity to make a splash guard from tape) but I don't think this has made too much difference.

The main thing was to slap loads on the door card. I stuck some around the woofer grill (and cut off the protruding plastic ring thing) and also put a load behind the door pocket, all the way up to the bottom of the arm rest section. This, I believe, is what was rattling.

Hi

I know it would be a pain to remove the pannel again BUT the pictures would be great if / when your bits arrive from BA

Glad to hear the effort was worth it

Kind Regards
Old 15 August 2005, 12:03 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need to do this in my boot now I have installed my sub. Just a matter of finding the time.
Old 16 August 2005, 09:32 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Okay, still no luggage but my mad photoshop skillz have enabled me to share what I have done. Probably not the best dynamat application in the world, but it's enough!

First, here's the bit in the door itself. I removed the 'speaker and spacer rings first, applied the 'mat making sure that I cut out the 'mat directly above the three white plastic screw fixings:

I never was going to 'mat the whole door, so it goes up as high as it can given the bit of blue cable coming down. For some reason I covered the hole on the far left hand side with a semi-circle bit of 'mat too. Although I didn't use a heat-gun, it was done outside and I let the 'mat warm in the sun for a bit. The metalwork (and door card) etc. was cleaned using window cleaner solution as I'd sniffed all the decent solvents in the house

So, door done (don't laugh) now onto the main culprit, the door card. At this point I have to thank http://iaperformance.com for the (totally unauthorised) use of their photo. In fact, I wish I'd gone to their site earlier as not only do they sell spacer kits but they also advise the removal of the plastic 'ring' thing, as highlighted below. A quick introduction to 'my mate stan' and the rings were history...

I believe this ring has a lot to answer for as far as noisy vibrations go...

Anyway, I surrounded the grill with 'mat, cutting crosses over the two plastic spigot things so they could poke through:

I then noticed the inner pocket was a seaprate bit of plastic and although fixed on I thought it could possibly vibrate. So, I slathered this in 'mat too - I had to cut some slits in the 'mat so it would lie flat over the undulations etc; I was generally trying to tie the pocket into the rest of the door card:

And that was it! Put it all back together again and whacked the volume up.

I finally have the sounds that I wanted/paid for.

Of course, now the rears need sorting. If and when I get round to them I'll post more drivel here (assuming BA finally get my luggage back to me).

Last edited by ru'; 16 August 2005 at 09:34 PM.
Old 17 August 2005, 07:49 AM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Good report yet again Ru - nice one!
Old 17 August 2005, 12:56 PM
grey-wrx
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=ru']Okay, still no luggage but my mad photoshop skillz have enabled me to share what I have done. Probably not the best dynamat application in the world, but it's enough!

Photshop skills are fine with me - Top job
Old 23 August 2005, 02:42 PM
grey-wrx
Scooby Regular

Of course, now the rears need sorting. If and when I get round to them I'll post more drivel here (assuming BA finally get my luggage back to me). [/QUOTE]

Still waiting for you to do the rears - can you hurry up as mine need doing BUT I need the RU guide (with pictures ) to show me how:-)

What do you have sitting in the way of speakers ?
Old 23 August 2005, 03:07 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

A recent house move has sucked all my spare time/money, so the rears are not a priority at the moment I'm afraid.

I'm not sure I understand the question though.

On a brighter note, BA delivered my luggage up the road and the (total stranger) who lived there found our number in the phone book and contacted us so we could pick it up - there are still some honest people in the world.

Ru' out (currently booking a return trip to Dubai, not with BA believe it or not...)
Old 23 August 2005, 06:56 PM
grey-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'
A recent house move has sucked all my spare time/money, so the rears are not a priority at the moment I'm afraid.

I'm not sure I understand the question though.

On a brighter note, BA delivered my luggage up the road and the (total stranger) who lived there found our number in the phone book and contacted us so we could pick it up - there are still some honest people in the world.

Ru' out (currently booking a return trip to Dubai, not with BA believe it or not...)
I thought you had no money trip to Dubai should equate to some serious sound products

The question was aimed at getting the RU guide and picts together so I can do my rears
I have used your guides for most other things in my car:-)
Old 25 August 2005, 12:47 AM
sang_my02_wrx
Scooby Regular

heres some pics off me dynamatting the front door and rear shelf!!!

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sang_phan/my_photos

does the rear shelf rattle? NOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Old 25 August 2005, 08:15 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by grey-wrx
I thought you had no money trip to Dubai should equate to some serious sound products
Yeah, but my work may get a bit stressed if I put in a receipt for audio kit instead of a business trip to Dubai!
Old 14 September 2005, 08:36 PM
wizgti
Scooby Regular

Just a word of warning - if you use dynamat extreme instead of standard dynamat be very careful that the foil backing doesn't short out your speakers, cos I've just spent all afternoon trying to figure out why my speakers weren't working properly ( I installed them at the same time)!