Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2005, 02:20 PM
grey-wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head unit or speakers?

Hi,

speaking with 2 separate ICE shops - they both slate different things
I slated the head unit, saying the speakers were fine, the other the speakers claiming the head unit was fine.
Both will be swapped out at some stage BUT funding will only allow one at this time, what would you guys (the experts) recommend to do first? as quite clearly the 2 shops I have spoken to dont know jack
Old 14 July 2005, 02:28 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

They are both rubbish! I thought that the 'speakers would be the worst, so changed them first.

This revealed the HU for what it is...

Only when I changed the HU too was it all worth it.
Old 14 July 2005, 04:01 PM
wannaB4
Scooby Regular

If you plan on doing both at some point, I would change the head unit first. Gives you something new to play with, will improve sound, and when you replace the speakers it will be a massive improvement so you grin from ear to ear. Also power output from the standard head unit may not be enough to drive new speakers to full potential, just a thought though, dont know what the OE power is, 4x20W maybe?
Old 14 July 2005, 04:59 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Changed speakers first, and noticed a fair difference. Then changed HU and found a huge improvement! Doesn't really help in deciding which to do first though.

Don't forget though, the speakers will only set you back about £60-70. For £300 you could get an excellent system, with Infinity components and a powerful Alpine or equivilent HU. In another league to the standard set-up!
Old 14 July 2005, 07:10 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by grey-wrx
Hi,

speaking with 2 separate ICE shops - they both slate different things
I slated the head unit, saying the speakers were fine, the other the speakers claiming the head unit was fine.
Both will be swapped out at some stage BUT funding will only allow one at this time, what would you guys (the experts) recommend to do first? as quite clearly the 2 shops I have spoken to dont know jack
I changed the HU and found that actually, provided you dont want too much from your speakers the fronts are not too bad with a decent HU. However at any reasonable sort of volume where you can enjoy your music, the speakers easily distort as they cant handle the power from the new HU.

As someone else has said, you can change the speakers first, but the HU wont be able to drive them properly and you wont see a massive difference. If you change the HU first, at least you can have a play around with the settings, and you may find the sound acceptable.

This is the way i did it, and its true, you will not get the benefit of either until they are married together. As said, the speakers are only £60-70 and relatively easy to fit, so if you can afford the £200 for the HU, surely you can stretch to another £70????

Alternatively, shop smart, goto halfords, decide what HU fits your bill. Look on t'interweb and get it £50 or £60 cheaper then use the saving for the speakers. Unless you are going for competition sounds, a £150 alpine off the web will be more than enough for you.