ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Guide; Fitting Alpine 9812 & iPod Interface; MY05 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2005, 10:18 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guide; Fitting Alpine 9812 & iPod Interface; MY05 WRX

Okay, here's the latest instalment in my journey to improve my car's ICE.

First off, I used the Subaru pocket with flap (part 66128SA000). This needs to have two holes drilled in each of the original head unit brackets; one on each side for a screw (use the ones which were holding the old HU) and one for a plastic 'spigot' on the flap pocket. I used a 6mm drill which gave a bit of play to line things up.

When this is done, you can start taking the car apart... I won't repeat what others have posted about removing the headunit and trim etc., but I will say be careful of the dash either side of the HU fascia plate - protect it with tape or something so you don't end up with lots of scratches like mine...

After that's all removed, take off the glove box. This is secured with three screws along the top, two lower down towards the back...

... a plastic screw thing on the left hand side...

...a screw underneath on the left...

...and one on the lower right:

When these have been removed, the whole assembly can be lifted off its mountings. Be careful not to break the wiring for the glove box light - this can be unplugged to make things easier.

Now that's out of the way, it's time to run a decent 12V feed from the battery. Don't bother using the existing feed it's only fused at 10Amps, and using the one for the ciggy lighter isn't really on either. It's worth getting this bit right, especially if (like me) you're using the amplification in the Alpine HU rather than separate amplifiers. I used an amp wiring kit from Maplins as I was too lazy to buy the bits separately, but you need a length of thick power lead, a 20A fuse and holder (mounted close to the battery) and suitable connectors. Make sure it's all tied down in the engine bay (red wire):

At this point it's better to leave the fuse out. To get through the bulkhead I used sharp craft knife to cut a small slot in an existing grommet, which already had lots of wires passing through. Make sure you keep out of their way, and seal it all up with a good blob of silicone sealant:

I tried to get a picture of where this comes out, but it's behind the glove box, behind a lot of other stuff. Keep pushing the wire in from the engine bay until you feel it coming out, then pull it through. Run it behind where the HU will be, and tie it down:

There are two bolts towards the back inside the HU compartment, one of which can serve as an earth point. I kept the original earth which clips onto the HU brackets too, but wired the new HU harness to this bolt:

After the power leads are sorted, I used a Subaru DIN adaptor for the rest of the wires. The aerial on the Alpine needs an adaptor to take the standard plug (long thing) and make it ISO (small thing, a bit like a phono socket). I first used an all-in-one thing (Halfrauds), and promptly broke the centre pin off - in the end I used one with a length of wire between the two ends which seemed a better way (Maplin). Lucky they're cheap.

The Subaru flap pocket thing has a plastic protrusion on the front at the bottom (no idea why...). This caused some hassle fitting the trim around it, so I got my cutters out and worried it until it was gone. This is invisible when the trim is fitted:

That was the HU sorted, now onto the iPod interface. This posed more of a problem, as it's pretty large and wouldn't fit behind the ashtray as I have a hands free kit there. The simplest solution was behind the glove box assembly. I also enlarged one of the holes in the glovebox to take the iPod lead, and fitted the velcro (included with the iPod adaptor) here:

The other velcro went on the back of the interface:

Then it was a matter of wiring the interface to the HU and into the glovebox and fitting everything back:

The finished project :
Old 13 June 2005, 08:57 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one!

Now I have no excuse to do mine!
Old 13 June 2005, 12:18 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Let us know how it goes!
Old 15 June 2005, 07:51 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks for the walk through, gives me some confidence to have a go.

Where abouts did you put the ipod, it's not that clear from the piccy.

Ta.
Old 15 June 2005, 08:17 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

iPod is stashed in the glove box. In the piccy it's on top of the scooby's owners manual etc. (leather-look case thing).

I thought about running the cables into the centre console bin/pocket thing (between the two front seats) but there wasn't an easy way to run the cables and no existing hole in the 'bin' part.

What I haven't shown in the pictures is that I tightly secured the iPod-to-interface lead with a cable tie to the same point as the red power cable; if that came loose (passenger grabbing iPod out of glove box whilst saying 'cool' and pulling hard...) it would be a hassle to plug back into the interface.

Last edited by ru'; 15 June 2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old 15 June 2005, 08:56 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Ahh ok, i see now. Did you think about putting the ipod in the pocket below the HU ?
Or does it not fit ?

Also, are you happy with the way the HU controls the ipod ?

Sorry for all the Q's, while I'm at it I might aswell ask if you are happy with the sound and what speaker install you went for. As you can tell i have in mind a very similar setup, although i was thinking about the 9855R although i see it has a lower power internal amp.

M.
Old 16 June 2005, 06:17 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

ru'

Just thought I would update.....

Bought head unit (Alpine 9812RB) and harness adapter from Audio 66 (01444 254108). They were very helpful, and were the cheapest by a considerable margin. Delivered next day as promised.

Fitted pretty much as per ru's guidelines, and am very happy with the results.

I had previously fitted Infinty components, but this upgrade is in another league, and just confirms how poor the OE unit is.

Just to add, the aeriel adapter required is pt no 131136, £4.29 from Halfords.

Cheers again ru' for helping me spend my money....what's next!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...s/3c7abe75.jpg

Last edited by GE90; 16 June 2005 at 06:36 PM.
Old 16 June 2005, 09:59 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt-c
Ahh ok, i see now. Did you think about putting the ipod in the pocket below the HU ?
Or does it not fit ?
I didn't want to put it in there for some reason which now escapes me! I'd guess it would fit, even in the silicon sleeve case thing I have around mine. Maybe I didn't want to make a hole in it; the glove box already had a hole, which was easy to enlarge with my trusty snippers (craftsman alert!).

Also, are you happy with the way the HU controls the ipod ?
Well, yes I guess I am. However, it could be better. Scrolling through tracks/albums/artists is pretty poor to be honest; it takes a while for each one to be displayed. Also there is a limit of 511 albums, playlists or artists which can be displayed in a search, and a limit of 255 songs in a search - after this just numbers are displayed.

It's pretty easy to get around though; I've set up a number of playlists (really easy to do in iTunes) for different bands, types of music etc. I normally select one of these and put it on random play. Probably at least 50% of the tunes I have on the iPod I generally wouldn't listen to anyway, so playlists are the way forward.

Sorry for all the Q's, while I'm at it I might aswell ask if you are happy with the sound and what speaker install you went for. As you can tell i have in mind a very similar setup, although i was thinking about the 9855R although i see it has a lower power internal amp.

M.
The sound is excellent! It's a fantastic head unit, and really allows the Infinity 'speakers to work properly (on the standard HU I was running something like +8 bass and -8 treble to get a half decent sound; on the Alpine I'm just tweaking +/-1 here and there). Being able to delay individual 'speaker channels means I've got a proper stereo image for the first time in a car; it's like there's a centre 'speaker behind the centre vents! Love it!

No worries about the questions; I'll help where I can.
Old 16 June 2005, 10:08 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GE90
ru'

Just thought I would update.....

Bought head unit (Alpine 9812RB) and harness adapter from Audio 66 (01444 254108). They were very helpful, and were the cheapest by a considerable margin. Delivered next day as promised.
Next day! Wow, maybe I was just unlucky.

Fitted pretty much as per ru's guidelines, and am very happy with the results.

I had previously fitted Infinty components, but this upgrade is in another league, and just confirms how poor the OE unit is.
It's funny; some people have said upgrade the HU first, whereas I said do the 'speakers. Hearing the difference a new HU makes suggests we're both right (and I'd guess everyone agrees that both the 'speakers and HU need changing)...

Just to add, the aeriel adapter required is pt no 131136, £4.29 from Halfords.
Or MZ80B (I think; make sure it's the one with the connectors linked by a bit of wire, not the all-in-one adaptor) £1.99 from Maplins!

Cheers again ru' for helping me spend my money....what's next!
Assuming you're not going to start on the engine, suspension, wheels, bodywork, windows, interior etc. then may I suggest a sub? It's almost next on my list; nothing massive but I've got some 4V pre-outs begging to be used... And there was me saying to myself "I'll just change the 'speakers using a Halfrauds plastic adaptor and I'll stop there..."...

Thing is, PPP is probably higher up on my shopping list. Then I can justify the sub to the GF; "But I need a sub 'cos the exhaust is now louder and I can't hear my tunes!" lol

Nice job, by the way:
Old 17 June 2005, 09:55 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Really must get round to fitting mine!

Got all the kit, managed to get the Alpine 9815RB

Just struggling to find the time!
Old 17 June 2005, 09:48 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

SirFozzalot, what's the difference between 15RB and 12RB ?
Old 17 June 2005, 10:04 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

SirFozzalot, what's the difference between 15RB and 12RB ?
Old 17 June 2005, 10:27 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

(ho ho)

The 15 I believe has an integral 2/3 way crossover, parametric EQ, storeable presets for EQ and delay etc. and some other goodies.
Old 23 June 2005, 10:46 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Mine is in now! Well pleased!

Thanks to Charlie at AQS Motorsport for your assistance with the head unit (coz I is a chicken s*it! )

Looks good.....and sounds even better, even with the standard door speakers still in place! (next job ) It is so much clearer and with the sub taking the bass I can reduce the bass output to the original door speakers so no distortion!

Thats the Head unit (Alpine 9815RB) and 12" Sub (Rockford Fosgate in Custom fit Auto Acoustics box) + Amp (Rockford Fosgate) in place!....think some sound proofing in the boot is required though!

Photos to follow....(when I get the chance to take some! )
Old 23 June 2005, 11:25 AM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Very good installation guide indeed!

I put the 9833R in mine along with the KCA-420i (Ipod interface) and have beed delighted with it since. I had mine installed when the Iopd interface first came into the Uk and have been using for a long time...

A word of warning however, sometimes the Ipod gets confused by what the interface is saying to it and locks the ipod...this will display a permanent DISK READ on the screen of the Alpine and simply will not load the Ipod....should this happen turn ignition off or switch the head unit off, remove the ipod. If using a 3/4th Gen Ipod with scroll wheel simply switch the hold switch backwards and forwards a few times (the little one on the top which shows a red area when it is locked) and then with the hold switch in the ON position (i.e not showing the red bit) hold down the Menu and the select button at the same time (top button and middle dimple) until the Apple Logo appears...then release.

Switch Ipod on and off again and plug in. Alpine unit will then realise what has happened and Bobs your uncle

Oh, and get your favourite albums set up as playlists, its makes it so much easier to search for tracks/artists that way

Enjoy!
Old 23 June 2005, 11:26 AM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Oh, and if you leave the Ipod in your glove box purchase an 'Exo skin' (£15.00 from www.everythingipod.co.uk) for it as this draws the heat away from the Ipod stopping it from shutting down when too hot and also keeps it running when its too cold