Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Can anyone help with the wiring on an Alpine Head unit???

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2005, 09:35 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can anyone help with the wiring on an Alpine Head unit???

I have just got an Alpine CDA-9815RB and need a bit of help with the power connections in my MY03 STi.

I was hoping it would be like my last head-unit (Kenwood mask jobbie) that simply used the ISO Connector for all the connections.

However....it isn't!

I don't have a problem running the live to the battery as I am running a cable for an Amp anyway but it also requires another live that is energised with the ignition. Any ideas where I can connect this?

Also...is there an earthing point handy behind the dash or should it be run elsewhere in the car?

Last one .......can the dimmer wire be connected anywhere or should I not bother?

I don't want to have to be cutting into loads of wires as I would like it to be possible to replace the original headunit if I needed to or to upgrade to a DVD/SatNav type system in the future without too much hassle.

Bloody Alpine! Why can't they just use the ISO harness like everyone else?!?
Old 08 June 2005, 01:07 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't help yet, as Alpine haven't delivered my f'ing 9812RB head unit yet - when they do I'll be posting another rambling photo story on how i fitted it all...
However, the switched live should appear in the DIN wiring - easy to test if you've got a multi-meter but not otherwise. In fact, the manual suggests you should be able to link the ignition line into the DIN power socket for this (it's the same manual for the 9812, which I have in pdf).

These headunits are fused at 20A, so they're above the DIN power capability and fuse (I think it's around 10A on the scooby).
Old 08 June 2005, 01:29 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

I've had 2 Alpine in my WRX03 without any problems. Although both used external amps and not the built in the headunit, hence if you don't use the 4 x 60w or whatever it is you shouldn't need to run feed direct to factory. Wouldn't hurt though if you say you can do it easily enough. You should have switched feed with ignition in Scooby wiring. I used Autoleads Subaru to ISO adaptor lead and then plugged Alpine loom into that no problem. As for earth point, the OEM radio mounting brackets which I take it you have bolted single DIN radio into to hold it has own ground wire attached or you should see a couple of nuts on either side at the back, 10mm I think, how about using one of those as I'm sure it goes through to metalwork on the bulkhead.

Andy.

PS. 9812 and 9815 use same wiring loom.
Old 09 June 2005, 07:36 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info so far guys.

I haven't actually started installing the Head unit yet (still waiting for the autoleads ISO adaptor) I was just trying to gain as much info as possible so I don't get stuck half way through!

I ran the power lead for the amp through to the boot last night...easier than I was expecting actually.
Old 09 June 2005, 07:30 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
...I ran the power lead for the amp through to the boot last night...easier than I was expecting actually.
Where did you come through from the engine compartment to the interior? I will be doing this (hopefully) on Saturday, so any tips would be gratefully received.
Old 09 June 2005, 10:55 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Open bonnet, look down on the right hand side of the bulkhead - there's a big grommet with wires going through it. Thats where you put your wire through. Use some fairly liquid and it'll go in a treat (still talking about the wire oo-er missus). It comes out just below the glove box if i remember correctly.

Ian
Old 09 June 2005, 11:00 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Sure my amp feed comes through same place although I didn't do it myself I know the thick yellow cable disappears behind the dash near the glovebox and is under the bonnet battery side. It isn't fed across from steering wheel side.

Andy.
Old 10 June 2005, 11:26 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Up_North
Open bonnet, look down on the right hand side of the bulkhead - there's a big grommet with wires going through it. Thats where you put your wire through. Use some fairly liquid and it'll go in a treat (still talking about the wire oo-er missus). It comes out just below the glove box if i remember correctly.

Ian
Yep...thats the one I used!
Old 10 June 2005, 07:55 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Cool; thanks for the replies.