Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.
View Poll Results: Which should I go for? (not necessarily which would you go for!)
Becker Mexico Pro 7933
33.33%
Becker Traffic Pro 7945 Bluetooth
66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

which becker head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2005, 11:50 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which becker head unit?

Guys I need help.

Basically I need to choose between these two units.

Both can be seen here.

Look at the 7945 under navigation, or the 7933 under hifi.

Both are a car with green illumination, so stylistically I can get them both to fit in.

Ultimately buying the more expensive one is stretching myself, no question, but the difficulty will be recovered within a few months and I won't really notice it then.

So, I can get the MP for £270, or the traffic pro bluetooth for £660 - it is a one off, so don't ask me how!

Question is how many of you would justify the extra £390.

I like the fact that the 7945 isn't common, has a much nicer display, has the functionality of navigation, and also has bluetooth, which I am going to need as I must stop driving whilst on the phone and can't get on with head sets.

But it is still £390 more.

Thing is, the 7945 is better value in that I am getting a one off discount, whereas the 7933 is the price to anyone. I kind of feel that I should take advantage of the offer of the 7945.

The car is an MX5 which the (future) wife and I would like to be able to do some travelling in, such as far reaches of this island and france northern spain and italy, so navigation has its uses, but ultimately I have survived this long without it and have no issues at all with reading maps, and getting loss and figuring things out.

am not sure if cd based navigation with all of europe on one disc is ever going to be up to much ultimately, and can't image this becker unit whjere nav is concerned is any better than the others in the range.

There is also the fact that I am concerned with putting a lot of money into a unit which in the advent of DAB may be defunct fairly soon. I know that applies to all units, but the more money commited, the more waste!

Quite simply I am torn and need help.

In my position, what would you do?

Last edited by Adam M; 26 May 2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 26 May 2005, 01:25 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Both are equally underpowered on the audio amp side

I'd suggest getting the best you can afford; if the navigation is good then get it. Othwerwise you''ll only regret it!
Old 26 May 2005, 03:05 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

not worried about amp side of things. head unit watt ratings are usually bollocks anyway, becker tend to quote power outputs with acceptable levels of THD rather than the biggest number they can manage.

Probably running off an amp anyway.
Old 26 May 2005, 03:48 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably running off an amp anyway.
It would be rude not to!
Old 26 May 2005, 04:09 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

wallis, this is for the mx5, might need to bring it up to bradford for central locking and funly stereo fitting at the same time. If that is the case, will buzz you in advance to see if you are around.
Old 27 May 2005, 10:44 AM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam M
am not sure if cd based navigation with all of europe on one disc is ever going to be up to much ultimately, and can't image this becker unit whjere nav is concerned is any better than the others in the range.
I have used a CD based sat nav for the last 2 years and had no problems, worked like a dream driving to bordeaux last year and Black Forest the year before.

Biggest issue for me would be that it is a pain in the **** to update and you would then need to buy a decent cd changer (unless one comes with it) - so add another £100 to the price.

I personally think that all models with navigation are vastly overpriced even of you do get a discount. I am looking at a similar dilemma for my new car and can't see past a decent head unit and a hand held sat nav unit such as Tom Tom Go.
Old 27 May 2005, 11:35 AM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Or just a thought:

How about this for a shedload less.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...776392408&rd=1

Looks like a good deal to me and should fit your bill.
Old 27 May 2005, 02:09 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

adam, not a prob.

Bear in mind tho you will probably do more miles in the mx5 than the 'other' car.. so you need better sounds in the car that does more mileage, if you see where Im coming from?

David
Old 27 May 2005, 02:11 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

that is decent, but I also have to say I am sucker for individuality, and no one has the traffic pro!

I already have a becker cd multiplay so am not worried about that.

I think I am just gonna buy the better one and be done with.

am also thinking that I can't be arsed with amping this little set up!