ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

ipod

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2005, 07:09 PM
agdodds
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipod

does anyone know if it is possible to connect an ipod to the standard fit stereo on a wrx 2001 if so which is the best model to buy
Old 20 May 2005, 11:26 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

You cannot get the ipod to connect to the standard stereo, not even with the Belkin tape connection thing....

You have two options. Get a head unit with an Aux in connection (two RCA's into your Ipods headphone jack on the top) then switch the head unit to Aux.....

Or, as I did....purchase an Alpine 2005 Model head unit (i went for the CDA-9833R) and get the Ipod intereface unit (about £100.00) then that way you can pop your ipod in the glovebox and control your songs from the head unit.

Its not a cheap way of doing it but worthwhile in my opinion

Hope this helps
Old 20 May 2005, 11:33 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Alot of aftermarket head units control Ipods now, wither via their own link or via a Denison link. I've just up graded my head unit to take my ipod that way I can ditch the cd changer. I'm running kenwood which do their own connector btw.
Old 21 May 2005, 10:24 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

The tape-based adaptors fool the headunit into thinking the tape has got to the end; there's too much tension in the pinch-roller wheel spring. When inserted they try to play one side, figure it's at the end, go onto the other side, figure that too is at the end and decide the tape is shagged.

Apparently you can take them apart to either weaken or remove that spring and they should work. Not tried that myself; I just took them back (I tried about 4 different ones, without realising what the problem actually was).

The Dension iPod link for the Kenwood aftermarket head unit may work (not sure what stereo is on a MY01) - I asked about a MY05 and got this response;

"> The Kenwood aftermarket variant should work but we
> haven't tested on the
> 05 model year. If you purchase and it's not
> compatible, we'll refund.
"

It may be worth asking a Dension supplier.

Alternatively, you could use an FM transmitter. I use a "Seidio iSound FM Wireless sound adaptor kit SFTF1" which is great 'cos the FM frequency is set using a digital display rather than an unmarked ****.

The only hassle is having to re-tune the thing to a blank channel when moving around the country (and finding a suitable blank station in the first place).

It should be possible to get an adaptor lead which provides an auxiliary audio input via the CD changer lead - if you can find one I'd be interested myself.
Old 21 May 2005, 06:02 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Ru, have you tried Moving Sounds, if they are the people I'm thinking of then they are opposite a big park on the east of eastbourne and are a Denison stockist.
Old 21 May 2005, 07:36 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Ru, have you tried Moving Sounds, if they are the people I'm thinking of then they are opposite a big park on the east of eastbourne and are a Denison stockist.
I'll check that out - cheers!