ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Guide; Removing Door Card; 05 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2005, 10:18 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Guide; Removing Door Card; 05 WRX. 56k warning, many pictures

Right, I know there are very good guides out there, but having gone through this myself I'd thought I'd share what I learnt. Sorry to post all this here, but I can't do html so I can't make my own site.

As with all guides, this is for information only and neither I nor anyone else can accept responsibility for any damage caused by following this guide. Etc.

So, let's get going. This should be done with the window wound down.

First off, remove the corner 'bit'. This seemed easiest if you pull from the arrow below.

It is held by three clips, as shown below with it removed. It comes off without too much hassle.

Next, open the flap in the door handle 'well' with a small flat bladed screwdriver to access the screw below. Remove the screw.

The switch plate etc. can be removed by carefully levering out with a screwdriver.

The middle clip is actually closer to the arrow than where I am levering here, so it would be better to follow the arrow rather than me.

This shows the three sets of clips to give a better idea of where to lever.

The connectors (this shows the drivers side) can be removed by pushing in the retaining clip and carefully pulling. It could be easier to remove the passenger side window switch together with the connector, as this allows you to open and close the window.

Next comes what I found to be the hardest part (and one of my tweeter plates has the superglue repair to prove this...). The tweeter plate is held in by (as I recall) five clips. The one by the grill itself is pretty easy to prise out, when the other four have been unclipped. It may be helpful to open the little 'hatch' in the door latch level 'well', and remove the screw behind there. This will allow the latch and lock lever assembly to move slightly when removing the tweeter plate.

This shows the plate removed, and you can see two of the four 'clip' points arrowed. Removing the plate could be eased by levering the 'well' inwards to pop the clips out.

When you've removed the tweeter plate, it's time to take off the door card. I found it simplest to pull from the 'back' lower edge, where the rubber strip at the bottom of the door inner stops. I had a 'trim tool' (£3 from my local motor factors) but this was metal and I didn't fancy scratching my paintwork. Using my hand (as seen here) worked for me. The card just pulls off the clips, and it takes quite a force to get them to 'pop' off. Be brave! One or two stayed in the door card rather than the door, but it was simple to put them back where they should be; nothing was damaged.

There are clips at the points arrowed; this should help show you where to pull. Don't forget the one in the middle of the door when putting the card back on.

So, simple eh? I welcome any comments to add to this.

Hopefully this will help someone, stay tuned for the next episode - fitting Infinity 6500CS loudspeakers.

Last edited by ru'; 06 May 2005 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05 May 2005, 10:50 PM
murfs
Scooby Regular

Jazus
Need more room??
Old 06 May 2005, 08:05 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by murfs
Jazus