ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Looking for High Quality Sound in MY05

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2005, 08:45 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Looking for High Quality Sound in MY05

Hi all, I've read the FAQ and lots of posts, certainly some very useful info, however...

I'm a bit worried that i might not be able to get much sound in the back of the car. The shelf does not seem suitable for 6x9's my usual choice, I dont want a sub in the boot.

Will i get that "car full of sound" with just the front componants ?

And what's the best way to mount an amp in these cars ?

I love my Scooby, but miss the sounds and need to get it sorted soon, already have a Kenwood head that i like so it's really speakers and an amp that i need.

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers.
Old 31 March 2005, 07:12 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, it's not all doom and gloom.

Have a look at pauleds' setup - there's posts about it recently. That'll fill a scoob with sound adequately, and not cost the earth...
Old 31 March 2005, 09:11 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

It would be very difficult to get pauleds setup in an 05 WRX as the amplifier for the aerial and the isofix child seat mountings would get in the way.
Old 01 April 2005, 01:46 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes, that the trouble i see in the boot of the 05, I'm interested in what others have installed in 05 cars.

If you are proud of your 05 car install, I'd like to see what your solution was.

Thanks.
Old 01 April 2005, 06:56 PM
Lyricman
Scooby Regular

I have Infinity Kappa components in the front and Infinity reference 6X9's on the rear shelf. I did buy Kappa 6x9's but the cage would not fit through the holes in the bodywork so had to make do with the reference.
Rear shelf is a custom built one from MDF and Dynamat, also had to have two mdf spacer rings to raise the speakers so as they would fit in the holes.
Had an Audison amp to drive all 4 speakers and I must say the 6x9's were awesome in the shelf no vibration at there loudest.
I was very happy with big powerful sound and decent bass but then as usual you here something better and if you don't want a sub then this would be ok.

However Chiark always go on about fronts and a sub for the best defined focused sound and as usual he is right as I found when I decided to install a 12" JL sub.
The only downside was no decent sound for the rear passengers.
I have just got a new Alpine 9833 from the US for $299 from crutchfields and contrary to popular opinion it has 2 tuner settings one for US and 1 for Europe, so picks up UK stations fine but no RDS, for £156 who cares.
I then decided to hook up the 6x9's to the Alpine internal Amp which is pretty beefy and drives them ok (although not as well as the udison amp).
I now have the audison driving the fronts and Sub with the head unit driving the 6x9's.
I had to reduce the amp power to the fronts to allow the sub to be heard ok because I reduced the level of the fronts I had to reduce the head unit rear channel to the 6x9's as they were too loud.
I now have a pretty decent sound but am now not satisfied with the Infinity fronts and may change these to Focal 165 V2 Slims.
All work was done by Incartec on Clifton Moor York for anyone interested.

Pictures of Rear shelf here

http://groups.msn.com/WiggintonSquas...msnw?Page=Last

Last edited by Lyricman; 01 April 2005 at 07:02 PM.