ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Rear speaker damage

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2005, 06:51 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear speaker damage

I've lost all sound from the ICE in my car. I think that I may have damaged the wiring to one of the rear speakers by overloading the boot.
Two questions:

1. Can damaging the wiring to rear speakers (L/H I think) affect sound from all speakers in the car?
2. Should there be any trim underneath the parcel shelf to protect the back of the speakers and wiring? My last car was a 5dr MY98 so did not have shelf mounted speakers.

Thanks
Old 21 February 2005, 08:01 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Theres NO trim under the parcel shelf, Ive got none on MY00 classic.
Check the wiring to the damaged speaker has not gone 'short circuit' as this will mean that the amp in the head unit is going into protection mode, shutting off all the speakers, did you cut the cable??? Was the head unit switched on at the time??Did you cut/damage the cables with a metal object, shorting the speaker cable to the car body??
Some head units have fuses instead of protection circuits, what type of head unit is it, is it the OEM one fitted as standard, if so some of these have an internal fuse which means the radio will have to be removed and the top taken off, replace the fuse and away you go.
Old 21 February 2005, 08:43 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

It's a MY00 fitted with an Alpine head unit. I'm pretty sure that the rear speakers are oe units. I was thinking of removing or replacing them anyway.

I pushed a couple of cardboard boxes into the boot and they have damaged the wiring. The insulater plate that carries the soldered speaker connections and is rivetted to the speaker body has come loose. The connections seem intact but it looks like something else may have been fitted at some time becuase there are some joins and taped sections of wire. I've not had a chance to look more closely yet.

The head unit operates as normal - just no sound.

Thanks for you help.
Old 21 February 2005, 08:44 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

.... and yes, the head unit was on at the time. It was playing as I got out of the car to remove the boxes. When I got back in it was still playing but there was no sound.
Old 23 February 2005, 08:29 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SimonD
The insulater plate that carries the soldered speaker connections and is rivetted to the speaker body has come loose.
rather obvious really I suppoose.
I'll be the one in the corner wearing a big hat with a "D" on it!