Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

JBL's

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2000, 12:25 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Daz- can't help coz mine fit AOK!!!
3) I have purchased some Dynamat and will apply in the next couple of days, when speaking to the local car hifi shop they suggested using (non porous) foam in the bottom of the door, has anybody tried this ?

Not yet - let us know how you get on!!!

DaN
Old 11 December 2000, 11:54 AM
DAZ 4
Scooby Regular

Guys,

I've now decided I want to get some more bass from the JBL components I put in, I have a few questions / suggestions that some of you may be able to answer ??

1) What size (thickness) MDF spacers is best to use. ie if I bring the speaker further out will it hit the plastic on the door panel ? Too thin will it put the magnet too close to the door glass ?

2) Is there enough room to screw a MDF "backing" behind the speaker in the door panel ? If this is possible I think it may help improve the base, getting somewhere near a conventional home speaker and a small sub box

3) I have purchased some Dynamat and will apply in the next couple of days, when speaking to the local car hifi shop they suggested using (non porous) foam in the bottom of the door, has anybody tried this ?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Daz
Old 11 December 2000, 01:05 PM
NikB
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Daz,

Sorry to go off the point, but, did you manage to sort out your colour coding query on the front speakers. If you did please let me in on it. I'm about to install a new set of infinty's.

Many thanks,

Nick.

Old 11 December 2000, 03:25 PM
DAZ 4
Scooby Regular

NikB,

I will check the colour coding when I take the car apart (again!).

I was hoping for a couple of answers above so I could do it all in one go !! I'll definitely post the answer when I find out.

Also while I'm on, something the hifi shop pointed out to me is that I should not expect too much bass from the front speakers and to concentrate on the rears more. This is contradictory to a post that I read on here some time ago

The guy in the shop said that he had done about 30 installs in Impreza's and upgrading the front speakers with anything decent was a waste of time
Old 11 December 2000, 05:59 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2) Rockin'Ru is sending me some speaker baffles which whilst only foam are supposed to do just that as well as protect the back of the speaker from the weather. Have to say that I can get amazing bass from Infinity components if I give them enough juice (150WRMS/channel 300W peak) and turn the amps high pass filter off. In a lot of music, they sound as good as a sub. Depends on the music you listen to and how LOOOW it goes!

Re: bass from the back - I have some 220W Kenwoods on my rear shelf - tried them amlplified, but the whole thing sounds better with them off the headunit at 10-20% of the power of the fronts. I suppose if you're not going to get a sub, 6x9 may be useful, but if you're getting a sub, don't even look at the rear speakers - you'll waste time, money, marital relations and knuckle skin.

I asked similar question you did before about "MDF spacers or kick *** front components" -
Old 11 December 2000, 11:02 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

If you guys want a wiring diagram for the ISO connector, I've got one. Just trace the colour of the wire to the speaker and HEY PRESTO!!!!

Let me know OK?

Dan
Old 13 December 2000, 01:17 PM
DAZ 4
Scooby Regular

John,

I remember reading the post and looking at the baffles, they looked good. I've been trying to source these as well, have you contacted the US guy offline ?? I have a few offices in the US who may be able to get them and send them across. I've just got it in my head that if an MDF enclosure could somehow be put in the door panel it would sound great If I manage to do it without the glass coming down onto it I'll post

I thought that was the case with the rears, but the shop guy insisted that upgrading the rears was the way to go !! I have a kenwood sub box that I might put back in and removing the rears sounds a good idea

Scoobydoo,555

I think the diagram is on top of the original head unit. Thanks.
Old 13 December 2000, 01:45 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I'm sure you could e-mail Rockin'Ru from the profile in his email address and he may be able to help you. He commented that a very small MDF enclosure could sound quite harsh. I'd be very interested to hear how you get on. Could you tell us how you're planning to do it - we might be able to refine a "design" between us - (two or more) heads better than one etc? I am thinking you could use a circular piece behind the magnet, but then how to make a truncated conical piece for the rest? Or you could try a box which is screwed to the door through a "spacer" on the inner part of the door - using longer screws rather than the 3 short ones that hold the speaker spacer in place - i.e a spacer sandwich with the door as the filling!(hope that makes sense). LOL!
Old 13 December 2000, 01:54 PM
NikB
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Guys,

Firstly many thanks for all your help to date, John - for advice on the infinity install, Daz for investigating the speaker wiring and Dan for offering his circuit diagram...If it sheds any more light on the wiring query the original speakers have a blue wire with brown tracer attached to the large speaker terminal and grey to the smaller one. Dan, do these colours relate to your wiring diagram?.

Many thanks,

Nick.

Old 13 December 2000, 02:32 PM
DAZ 4
Scooby Regular

John,

You must be right about the two heads, your suggestions were exactly what I was thinking about (honest)

I think that if a thicker MDF outer spacer was used bringing the speaker as near to the plastic on the door panel (so the woofer doesn't hit) it would allow an MDF "backing" behind the magnet. I remember when I used too long a screw in the past, the glass bent it on the way down (not good!)
Old 13 December 2000, 03:06 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I seem to remember (Lee I think?) got 72mm of mounting depth using a spacer with CD tech speakers. Since JBL and Infinity are about 60mm mounting depth, then I guess if you move the speaker out as far as possible then you would have up to 12mm for MDF behind the magnet. 6-7mm MDF is quite tough and might work quite well - you could even put some dynamat on it???

Another idea- you could cut out a circle exactly the size of the back of the magnet in the back of the box, and hence not require extra mounting depth, but a seal would be difficult to achieve. Maybe therefore a box would be better cos it could be assembled and then the speaker put in. How were you going to make the right angle joints for the box? - dowel and glue? and how would you get the box INTO the door - as far as I can see it would have to go through the speaker hole which is even smaller than the speaker facing diameter! Maybe speaker baffles are your best bet. When I get them (any day now expected!) I will post results. I converted £ to $30 bills and sent it to Rockin in a card to cover his postage - baffles cost $7+about $5 delivery within US, but then all the rest is in postage to UK - crutchfield are the only supplier I could find and don't deliver outside US. If you do a search on