ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Soundstream amps

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2000, 01:13 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling chiark and others in the know!

Have been doing some homework on soundstream. Word on the street is they are good - when they work - any comments/experience?

Nick has suggested getting a factory recondtioned reference 705 through Craga on
Old 02 December 2000, 07:37 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well i have managed to answer some of my own questions!

I have found the unofficial soundstream page which has not been updated recently so is perfect for whats on ebay.
Old 04 December 2000, 08:18 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Well, second reply to my own post

Found another fountain of (anecdotal) information on soundstream.
Old 05 December 2000, 12:38 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've had a SS Continuum for the last 3 years and it is wonderful!

Admittedly, its a limited edition 5 channel that cost £1400 new - so it should be wonderful

I also know of several installations that have had soundstream amps that sounded very good - all without any fire problems!

To be honest, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the Soundstream/Genesis/PG amps as they are all pretty good.

What speakers/source are you using and what's the budget for the amp?
Old 05 December 2000, 08:22 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Sorry, been busy recently . Nice to know I'm wanted.

I've gone for the Reference 604, from Craga (Craig Wilcox) which is a 4x150W beast that works well. Only downside is that the max input is 2.5V, which means I have wound the output of my head unit down as that's a 4V output unit...

The 604 is a good amp - I'd recommend it. If you can get a few people interested, mail Craig directly and he'll cut you a deal. The shipping also works out less this way.

I ordered two, and I think the total was around the 200 quid mark despite the fact the amps were around $250.

If you're around Yorkshire (ha!) you're welcome to have a play. There's also an on-line manual that you can download in PDF format from
Old 05 December 2000, 02:45 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nick

Glad to hear your back - been in need of your guidance

Kryten

Thanks for the post!

The stories of fireworks are a little off putting but reading between the lines it appears to be only when driving the amps really hard.

The 604 appears to crop up on Craga site fairly frequently as does the class A picasso. Its interesting about what you said about apraoching him directly. I had thought about a picasso to run my (soon to be) focal kevlar 165K comps up front and the 604 for a single perfect 10 sub. I perhaps would have preferred a two channel amp for the latter.

Kryten - the continuum is based on the 705s if I am not mistaken - and seem to have both received various awards in the past. The 705s is tempting - you have done well to get the limited edition continuum (chromed). I would aim to run the front channels passively (or actively with the built in 3 way xover) and the 5th channel for the subs. Do you find this 5th channel adequate for your subs or do you have a separate sub amp as per Chiark? Any problems with reliabilty?

What do you use your 2x604 to drive Nick?

My preference would be for the picasso (any thoughts on a class A amp? - sound great, get hot and not for subs - is this correct?)
and something like a 700sx for the subs. 705s are in shorter supply but'll try the direct approach.

the pg475ti is expensive but looks wonderful.

The budget is about £300. This seems to buy quite a lot on ebay. I presume Kryten, you bought your ss new in the uk?

One final question - what do you get for Cragas factory refurbishment of his amps?

Thanks for you interest

Martin
Old 05 December 2000, 03:48 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I use it to drive my front components which are CD Technologies HD62s (only using 2 channels at the moment)

I have an active x-over which I'm tempted to play with when I get the time and inclination...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>One final question - what do you get for Cragas factory refurbishment of his amps?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? Don't understand? The amps have been refurbished by soundstream.

As for fires, if you run your amp into stupid impedances it will get hot and need extra cooling. It should never give any source of ignition and thermal cutout should occur before this. I couldn't find anyone saying their amp caught fire but one chap claimed to have melted two amps... That's his stupidity...

Old 05 December 2000, 04:03 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Yes its done by the factory - but what do they actually do? If there are any problems with the amps does that mean they have to go back to the USA?

Also, what do you have to do about your 4v pre amp out (excuse my ignorance) ????

Last question - what about the rubicons - just a superior psu or simply a fancy spoiler?

Martin

2 channel rubicon 702 - but not from Craga
Old 05 December 2000, 04:22 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Rubicon's do have a better designed PSU, apparently, and are more modern.

If there's a problem, Craga said that he would sort it out but to be honest I'd probably just get it repaired in the UK...

Old 05 December 2000, 11:15 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Craig writes:

Thanks for the email, it feels good to see good feedback from customers like that. I could sell a Picasso for $260 plus shipping, Unfortunately, I don't have any 2 channel amps at the moment besides a small REF 160s for $90 plus shipping. I can get the following but I haven't any on order at the moment:
REF 300 $180
REF 300sx $180
REF 200s $165
Class A 3.0 $175

Unfortunately, I rarely get any Rubicon amps
thanks
Craig Wilcox

Shipping usually runs around $60 for one amp, I amagine 2 amps would be $80 or so

Certainly the picasso is cheaper direct but his supply of 2 channel amps seem a little on the weedy side although I am not a complete bass head. The picasso lacks a crossover as do the 2 channel amps he mentions so this would have to be included in the budget.

Martin
Old 05 December 2000, 11:18 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Where is Kryten?

Tell me about your continuum.

Martin
Old 06 December 2000, 10:06 AM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Smile

Kryten

I am sorry that you have to work and can't post all day and evening like our leader Chiark - although did you hear about his ashtray incident?? What do yo think he was doing? Was it really just his hand or did he have something else stuck aswell (xover perhaps?)

I like the idea of the REF 705s. This guy Craga seems Ok and it is nice that
(a) he sells (allegedly) factory refurbished kit
(b) we know of somebody (Chiark) who has bought from him
(c) he seems to have a good track record according to ebay

The other guy did seem decidely dodgy.

I also (would like to think) that I am SQ rather than SPL. I have replaced the mortar in the bricks of the house after John Banks was round the other weekend. (This guy rocks and is a complete head banger but disguises it with chat about science (hello John - only kidding)). I am still not sure whether a separate sub amp might be the way to go but you have both reassured me that they don't always catch fire.

Craga states interestingly that in terms of ss 2 channel amps, that people who have bought from him the larger amps and run only moderate impedance loads - say 4ohm actually fair better with a less powerful amp. I am sure John will explain this one

I'll keep a lookout for a 705s and let you now in case you are interested but I Guess you are pleased with your amp and would recommend ss.

Martin

Old 06 December 2000, 10:10 AM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nick

Sorry, asked too many questions - waht do you have to do about your 4v pre amp output. I have heard conflicting stories about this. Can you clarify please?

Martin

PS John Banks - you posting during the day yesterday? Found a way through the firewall have we or are trick cyclists getting the day off after their busy nights on call?
Old 06 December 2000, 10:11 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I just don't wind the volume control to full!
Old 06 December 2000, 12:03 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Kryten has been busy working!!

I seem to remember something a few years back about some production problems and amps getting fried - as I said, don't know of any major problems. Did have a slight issue when I got it: the sub channel was putting out 15volts DC and speakers don't like DC! but it was fixed by BBG (the UK importers) under warranty without any problems, over Christmas in a week!

I've had it running my Dynaudio 240s both active (5 channel mode) and passive (bridged to 3 channels), so you could to either with any 5 channel amp.

The fifth channel runs a JL12W6 (known to like their power) and is fine - that said I'm into more SQ than SPL, but put in a Prodigy CD and you'd certainly need to use the remote from outside the car to get it cranked to anywhere near full volume

The 12W6 presents a 3 ohm load and the Continuum delivers about 300w RMS into it.

Luckily I didn't buy it new, but got it second hand for £700 - it was a choice between that and a Genesis 5 channel at the time.

The Focals are nice and in UK money for £300 you get sod all so I guess it has to be one from eBay - if you do order and everything's OK let me know and I may buy one myself!!

Try the forum at
Old 06 December 2000, 01:37 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah the work server allows Scoobynet but had been down for internet access for 2 weeks hence no daytime posting. Work server does not allow more "dubious" sites.

I guess an amp is less likely to go thermonuclear if it is run at higher impedance. Presumably a higher power amp (with proportionally better cooling) would be safest of all run at high impedance at the same volume level as a weedier amp. But if the higher power amp has the same or only slightly better cooling than the lower powered amp and you send up the volume to silly levels then expect it to cook I suppose. But IMHO, amps should not get that hot and should have adequate thermal cut outs to prevent this happening. From what you are saying this sounds like a SoundStream problem on some models. Do you hear the same about PG or RF amps?

My dodgy relatively cheap (RRP £250) Japanese amp (aka Kenwood) doesn't even get remotely warm when running the sub at wall destroying volumes But it only has 150W contin. capacity and the sub only takes 100W contin., but it has never thermally cut out. The sub box also has an overload circuit, so I only have to worry about my hearing. Hard to believe that only 100W produces such a blast! Beauty of a good bandpass box I suppose. It would be interesting to see how much power a sealed box would need to get 129dB (manufacturer's claim, but it is the loudest bass I have heard in a car and does sound like it). Of course it would sound a lot sweeter though (I would hope so for the price you would need to pay on amps that powerful and a sub with high power handling capability).

{Tongue-in-cheek mode on:

[I suppose there are analogies here with fat people doing long distance running. As well as lower power to weight ratio, their surface area to volume ratio is lower hence poor heat ventilation and reduced efficiency. Does this apply to separate sub amps with own power supplies, heatsinks, air around them etc?]

"Head banger that disguises it with science"? - Pigeon science more like.

Tongue-in-cheek mode off}
Old 11 December 2000, 12:49 AM
Hodge
Scooby Regular

I quite like my SoundStream Lil-Wonder 5 (£400) although I'm not particularly an audiophile and I almost certainly haven't set it up properly yet.
So far it seems happy enough running 6" JL's at the front, 6x9" Boston Acoustic rears and a 10" JL sub and it can certainly go loud enough (I'm not interested in a stereo system that goes so loud you have to be outside the vehicle to listen to it without doing physical damage to yourself).
I'd be interested in any comments about this amp from the cognoscenti on this list. Don't worry I'm very unlikely to change it even if the comments are along the lines of "oohh you don't want one of those..!" - I'm just curious.

Hodge
PS Head unit is a Pioneer DEH8000R CD/tuner with an Empeg line in as AUX.
Old 11 December 2000, 08:58 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hodge

Its complete crap and you should sell it to me at once.

I have stooped to the lows of buying ICE magazines. No specific reviews of the LW 5 but the 4 has had the big thumbs up. Is this a class A amp. Sounds like you chose wisely.

I now feel like the world expert on ss after having spent a whole week on the internet doing homework with breaks only for essential bodily functions

E bay has slowed up for Christmas and having decided to go for a 4 channel amp to run front components (Yes John Banks - those components we discussed - vvv good!) I changd my mind and plonked for a 2 channel 702 to run the subs in the meantime before looking for a 4 channel to run the fronts actively. Still working out how to get it to the UK - will let you know if and when it arrives

Martin
Old 11 December 2000, 09:03 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Links

Manufacturer:
Old 11 December 2000, 10:28 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Scooby Doc:
Yes John Banks - those components we discussed - vvv good<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You mean the FOCALS!! <<COOL>>

When do I get to hear it all?

I had a fiddle tonight - now I have 6 channels I decided to try amping the rears and unbridge the fronts. The fronts are now bridged again and rears off head unit once more. It sounded crap with the rears amped
Old 12 December 2000, 07:30 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Yes the Focals John.

Simply superb. Just need my new amp.

Martin

I still have my rears off the head unit. Interesting to hear about your experience though.