Multi speaker system & 1 amp...how to wire

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2004, 12:33 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Multi speaker system & 1 amp...how to wire

A few years back a friend had a Rockford system installed that made me feel ill it had that much real low bass but it sounded great once he turned that down a tad!

The components were from the punch range and the two subs were Power 12s. Now in the front doors he had an 8" a 5" and tweeter with a 3" in the dash somewhere, the rears were running a 6" and a tweeter.

All of this run off of a Power 1000 (iirc) A big long silver amp. Now my question is:-

"how do you wire this little lot up?"

The component speakers were relatively inexpensive, I know that the subs and amp were very expensive but I'm not interested in earth shattering bass, but the rest sounded great and with the cost of big stable low impendance amps from the states a nice option right now I want to know if it's feasible.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Old 13 December 2004, 05:15 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I suspect he had another amp powering the fronts, as the 1000 is a two channel amp, and it wouldn't make much sense to parallel the fronts up with the subs. If you did this, the fronts would be taking the same power as the subs, which is not a receipe for a happy set of components. Putting 50W into most free-air installed components will shred 'em, so putting 250W + into them will do damage...

You can use something called an L-pad to balance between front and subs off a single pair of outputs, but it isn't a particularly elegant way of doing things and you'd be wasting output to just heat up the resistors.

For the fronts, I'd guess he had a passive crossover after the amp and before the speakers which splits into low, mids and highs.

For subs, I'd guess that he probably put both subs in parallel and wanged them onto the Power 1000 bridged.

The power 12s were nice subs - a friend had 4 power 15s, and they really, really could do a lot of damage to people, property, you name it
Old 13 December 2004, 08:59 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

I cant begin to imagine what 4 15s sounded like!

So really if I were to fit fronts/rears and subs I'd be better off with a seperate amp powering the subs; I was just trying to be lazy with the amp wiring.

Are the Phoenix Gold Bass cubes still worth having? I've been out of this incar music thing waaaay to long
Old 13 December 2004, 10:25 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

That was in a long wheel base shogun... which had just the two front seats left. Just missed out on 150dB in the finals back in 1995.

You're definitely better off with a dedicated channel for fronts and dedicated channel for subs - a four channel is a much better bet than a stereo amp running in tri-mode or something like that.

Decent 4 channel amps are cheap now.

Bass cubes? I've still got one, and it's still installed, and it's still working . The most use it gets is to act as a subsonic filter. Just be careful with 'em, you can give up to 12dB of boost, which means you'll be needing four times the amplification power at the boost frequency if my maths is right!

Cheers,
Nick.