ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

buzzin!

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2000, 11:45 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've recently replaced the fantastic original head unit in my scooby with a sony CD unit.It has undoubtedly made a big difference to the sound quality and I'm really pleased with it. But especially when the bass kicks in I get a buzzing noise from the doors etc. Is there an easy way to remedy this? For easy read cheap
Please be gentle with me cos I know very little about ICE and have an extremely limited budget after my MY00 acquisition!
Old 01 December 2000, 11:55 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

depends on what you mean by 'buzzing' - it could just be the speakers not screwed in properly.

Have you been playing it, ahem, loudly? ;-)
If so, then you might have blown the drivers (speakers)....

more info please - if you want mail me offlist

impreza.turbo@libertysurf.co.uk

CHeers

Dan
Old 02 December 2000, 10:57 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More info would be useful:

Some electrical noise can occur with crimped speaker cables in the body, but I presume you have not altered the factory wiring so this is unlikely. Assuming all the connectors at the back of the headunit are sound and your speakers are not blown (both prob. unlikely) then when does the buzz occur - does it depend on engine revs or whether engine on/off - does is go away if you turn bass or volume down - and is it present if you turn up the volume on the headunit with the CD paused?

I suspect the most likely is door vibrations. Several possible cures 1.amplify you speakers add a sub and then put a high pass filter on the fronts (expensive option!) 2. soundproof your front doors and consider speaker baffles (cheaper) 3. Put 1 inch foam inside the door trim to press on the splash guard (cheaper still) 4. check everything screwed in tight as ScoobyDoo555 suggests.

BTW, for system problems the uk.rec.audio.car has an excellent FAQ -
Old 02 December 2000, 11:08 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies
It's quite obvious that I'm going to have to go back to the car and be a bit more specific about the buzzing. It does occur though when the bass is on full. I don't think I've blown the speakers cos I don't play the music excessively loud. Unlike at a certain car supermarket where I bought my last car where the valeters crank up the volume so much they damage the speakers. I wont mention where! Thanks for the advice so far I'll be back when I can be more specific