Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2000, 03:15 PM
NikB
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Folks,

Just a quickie I hope, I've been advised that Infinity 605cs component speakers will fit directly into the front of my MY99 without the need for MDF collars etc, can anyone confirm this please?.

Many thanks
Old 28 November 2000, 06:12 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am expecting some any day now - will let you know when they are fitted. I hope it is a good choice

BTW have you seen
Old 29 November 2000, 12:02 AM
NikB
Scooby Newbie

Thanks John,
Originally I was going to fit JBL GT6.0C's, therefore I contacted in car express to ensure they were a direct replacement for the standard Philips units and didn't need lots of cutting and fitting i.e MDF collars etc.. (http://www.incarexpress.co.uk) - their response as follows:
"They will fit, but the odd fixing arrangement JBL use on the 6Cs might
cause you a few problems. You might want to consider something else like
Infinity 605cs components instead - these use a conventional mounting
arrangement, and in my opinion actually sound a lot better as well". Their response to my question was pretty quick and their prices are very good. Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Nick

[This message has been edited by NikB (edited 29 November 2000).]
Old 29 November 2000, 05:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Nik - they've arrived tonight and look like they'll fit perfectly - am installing them in dark tonight!
Old 29 November 2000, 10:38 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Nik - I've installed the speakers in the right door only. They are amazing. Was going to do left door, but it got very windy and I was having to work in the dark with the door closed. The woofer went in no problem at all. Easy window clearance. Excellent sound. Tweeters lovely tone. Imaging already better using Kenwood coax on left as right tweeter is no longer aiming at my fibula. Can't wait to get the other side in. Crossovers fit nicely into the door if you trim the splashguard. Job took a little while as I soldered everything and changed all the supplied wiring to good quality stuff. Will post again in ICE forum when install complete with rears installed, foam back into doors and speaker baffles in situ with system set up correctly, but from what I have heard tonight I have high hopes. Drum sounds for example are very lifelike. Treble is beautiful. etc etc.
Old 30 November 2000, 09:10 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

John: sounds like you could be an excellent prototype submission type bod for the FAQ-o-Matic that's coming along at
Old 02 December 2000, 11:35 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

A review section is a great idea. If everyone posted a short standardised review of their kit it would be a really useful resource. How about a searchable sortable "database"? Are there any such systems out there as programming your own would be a little tiresome? Something that would look after itself - ie review submitted is automatically indexed and appears on the site? Is this overambitious or is it relatively straightforward?

Could be categorised into head units, amps, speakers - coax, components, subs, accessories/installation (inc cabling, interconnects, fuse blocks, crossovers, sounddeadening etc), other (fancy AV kit for the rich among us). For each could have price paid, VFM, ease of installation, pros, cons, comments, installation tips. Would happily start the ball rolling with a standardised review of my system which is effectively midrange in terms of price and therefore some of the components would be of broad appeal.

BTW - Infinity's now in and Kenwoods in back. Infinity's went in easily (took half an hour in daytime - 2 hours!! at night when very windy - a lesson there I think!). They sound great. For the Kenwoods in the back I put some soundproofing around them on the installation plate, but didn't want to do the whole rear deck as I though it might reduce sub bass from boot

Interesting when linked up to amp at 2ohm with Kenwoods and Infinitys off same channels it sounded terrible as the Kenwoods were playing louder. Put Kenwoods off head unit in the end and they sound much better now - just rear fill. All those that say the Scoob sounds best with the fronts getting all the power are entirely correct IMHO. It's a shame, cos in the wife's Fiesta some rear 6x9s really sound good (her comment - why is it £40 speakers in there are much better VFM than £800 of bits in Scoob). It seems to be a much more expensive set up to get all the volume at the front, but really worth it. I do think it sounds better with rear fill though. I tried disconnecting the tweets of the rears to see if that would help imaging - it did when they were amplified but sounded muddy as the midbass at the rear was drowning out the fronts. When connected to the head unit I think the rears sound slightly better with the tweeters connected. Overall I have £72 of speaker on the back shelf running off the Headunit. I don't think I would bother doing it all again and just leave the factory ones in (the factory rears have no tweeter cone whereas the factory fronts have a small cone to make "treble"). However, I run front rear fader at middle and the fronts are amped off the front output and the sub is amped off the rear. So my max comfortable listening level is about 75% of head unit max, and I reckon the rears are getting about 25% of the power of the fronts. Even then I think the factory rears would struggle, so maybe it was worth putting the Kenwoods in. I'm just saying that for all the faff and effort, if buying again I would not bother to change them as the return on your money or time is very low.

Excuse my waffling, I am talkative today (wife still studying and I was on call last night - so all I had for company was psychiatric nurses!!!!!)