Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Infinity Ref Components - 165mm or 6 1/2 inch?

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2000, 06:04 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Which size goes in the front of the scoob - my Kenwoods are 160mm and as far as I work out 165mm=6.5".
Old 24 November 2000, 08:09 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John

I had infinity reference components in my first install. I always felt they were good but lacked a little detail. Having said that I think I probably ran them faded out to the rear because I had loud 6x9s in the back shelf.

A thought, can't answer your question on the difference between the two you have quoted but if you buy from a local dealer they may be more sympathetic if you wish to try something else.

I think part of the trouble I was having with a lack of volume from the front speakers was partly because I was used to a very rear biased setup.

Martin
Old 24 November 2000, 08:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I think the 165mm ones will be safe since I am jigsaw/dustmask/MDF enabled!

What front components do you have now and how do they compare with your old References?

ScoobyDoc - check your email.

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 24 November 2000).]
Old 24 November 2000, 08:28 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

John

I am on line but have adjusted e mail settings and well, there just not working!

I'll e mail youback later

Try
Old 24 November 2000, 08:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Only e-mailed you to say how about moving over to chat.scoobynet.co.uk now for live discussion - could create an ICE topic. Repy now if yes.
Old 25 November 2000, 12:16 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Went for the 6 1/2 in the end. Apparently it's just in the mounting. And the 6 1/2 has lower extension and slightly higher power handling. We'll see how much MDF is required!

BTW, I want to fit the crossovers in the doors as I don't want another run of fat cable to squeeze through those grommets. Anyone have any thought on how to mount them? Was thinking of a cable tie to one of the holes in the door. Or might even get it in the foam padding I've put in. What have you guys done?

And tweeter mounting do they tend to fit behind existing grills?

I suppose another alternative would be to put crossovers in kick panels (?noisy area) and mount the tweeters near the mirror plastic triangular bits?

Anyone got any (on-line) pictures of their tweeters in non-standard positions?
Old 25 November 2000, 08:42 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

John,
How've you got on with the xovers? Personally, I'd have put 'em by the amp - you can set everything with ease. Don't know if this poses any problems with RF or other unwanted noise.......

Of course, you could always get a digital xover - store presets for different speakers !! Do a Max Power and mount it on the dash! only kidding <grin>

Dan

Trending Topics

Old 26 November 2000, 08:59 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Still waiting for the Infinitys - only ordered yesterday, stingy local hifi shop insisted on RRP £120 cf £88 and friendly advice from mail order.

If I put it near the amp it means a second run of cabling I presume as it's post crossover. You would hear my screams from the West Midlands trying to get one more wire into those doors.

BTW, I know we all slag off Max Power, but in a way some of their efforts are quite skilled - some amazing ICE setups, and some of their bodykits they make themselves would take a lot of skill even if not much taste. Are we not just "posh" versions of the Max man - brake kits, ECU, susp, tyres, ICE etc????!!!
Old 26 November 2000, 04:39 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Fair enough - just thinking of ways to help you.....

R the xovers active or passive i.e pre or post the amp.... just a thought.

Agreed with the Max Power comment - I DO actually admire some of the ICE installs....just like to take the mick (especially with that guy who put an Impreza bonnet scoop on his MR2 ??!!!!!)

Dan
Old 26 November 2000, 06:02 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi there ScoobyDoo555!

Crossovers (will be) passive.

Been at ScoobyDoc's today - top chap - (own "mini-meet") installing Dynamat in doors and fiddling with his amp settings. It was interesting to see that his installer had managed to get some 6 1/2 Kappa comps into the factory spacer with similar trimming to my Kenwoods so the changeover should be straightforward. They had screwed in a metal bracket and mounted the crossover inside the door - I've got a bit of spare 1" foam that I could put around them and they should be just the ticket. Nice to see with the door trims off again today that there is plenty of room for the tweeter.

ScoobyDoc's install sounds pretty sweet - the Kappas have a lovely tone. Sealed sub also gives good tight bass - very accurate. Much more SQ orientated than my SPL smasher but his music taste seems a little more refined than mine! Having said that he likes his power tools

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 26 November 2000).]
Old 26 November 2000, 07:18 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hmmmmm - power toooollllllllsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 27 November 2000, 08:23 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

From experience, I'd put crossovers at the back if possible. My x-overs picked up noise in the footwell (passive crossovers picking up noise? shocked me at least...)

Power tools. Hmmmmm.... Bought a circular saw for the last install. Still not proficient in its use... D'oh.

I take it John et al are up in the bonnie parts of the country?

Chat's a good idea. I suggest a time for the "ice posse" to be in da house, otherwise there'll never be anyone on there. I'm on-line all day with work, so let me know when's good for you.

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 27 November 2000, 06:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Chat is good for me in the evenings - web nanny at work stops anything with "chat" in it! (not surprising I suppose).

Will try x-overs in doors to start with and then worry about putting in a second run of cable (please no!!!!! - I hate the cabling bit).

Yeah I'm also in the cold bit called Scotland.
Old 29 November 2000, 01:32 AM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

John,check your email.