ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Head Unit swap on MY05

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2004, 10:19 PM
PO54
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Unit swap on MY05

Thinking of swapping the HU on my new WRX for an MP3 compatible unit. Is there an online tutorial (pref lots of pics) to show how to remove the old unit? Also, what do people use to fill the 2nd DIN sized hole under the new unit - gauges, cubby box etc.?

Has anyone noticed an improvement in sound from a HU swap without upgrading the speakers (which I'm told are what lets the sound down)?

Cheers
Old 15 October 2004, 10:29 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

You probably won't find any info on the 2005 model yet. But it's probably very similar to the 2004 - in which case have a look at the first topic in this forum - loads of good advice on there.

With regards to the gap - the popular choice is the pocket with a flap from the Forester - but don't know what the colour match will be like on the 05. ALternatively there's the standard issue Impreza open pocket, or how about an indash CD changer - I think Blaupunkt make one. Or a SECS unit? Or how about getting a double DIN unit such as the Kenwood DDX7025.

The general feeling is that yes replacing the hi-fi does make a difference but changing the spaekers will be even better. Not sure if speakers on 05 are the same as 04 though - might be better?

Ian
Old 19 October 2004, 11:39 PM
PO54
Scooby Regular

Thanks, checked out the FAQ and it answers most of the Q's I had.

Car is actually an 04 now that I've got it (long story). Looking to swap the head unit for an MP3 one with a little more power, though I don't plan to add an amp or go mad with it. I'd like some better front speakers too but they are already so much better than the rears.....Anyone noticed an improvement with just a head unit swap?

Cheers
Old 20 October 2004, 09:22 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I swapped my head unit for a panasonic mp3 thingy, not sure of the model number, but there is definitely an improvement in sound (except when listening to bad MP3's of course )

If you want to change the front speakers but can't be arsed with making an MDF adaptor etc yourself, Autoleads make a subaru front speaker adaptor ring (or whatever they are called).
They're only 130mm (5.25"), but at least they allow you to fit deeper speakers without the window catching on them. I paid 20 quid for them, but I'm sure you can find them cheaper.

Also, the general consensus seems to be that even if you replace the standard speakers with 10-quid-a-pair speakers, you will get massive sound improvements

I also got the Subaru cubby hole thing to fit the single DIN stereo, and I think it came up to 16 quid or something similar.

Before you go out splashing hundreds on speakers, remember that it is, allegedly, very important to sound proof the doors too. This is supposed to make a massive difference.