ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

STI4 double din head unit removal

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2004, 11:39 AM
Ken S55
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI4 double din head unit removal

I could do with a bit of help figuring out how to remove the Addzest head unit from my car. I am planning to replace it with a single din unit and a din pocket.

I have done a search and found this http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...d+unit+removal, but I'm still a bit stuck.

This is where I've got to:

I have undone the 2 screws inside the pocket in the centre console behind the handbrake. This seems to allow the console to move a little, but not enough to release it from where it fits under the centre part of the dash where the ashtray is. Are there some more screws somewhere ? Do I need to remove the gear lever gaitor ?

I have also removed the ashtray, and the 2 screws that fix the ashtray mounting in place. This mounting doesn't seem to come out, is there an extra clip in there somewhere, or is it ok just having had the screws removed ?

I have removed the 2 screws from the cup holder but it is still fixed in place. Are there some more to be undone ?

I expect this is the same for any of the late classic JDM spec cars. If you have changed yours then please let me know how you did it.

Thanks

Ken
Old 10 September 2004, 01:28 PM
OBH6UK
Scooby Regular

Try the sticky at the top, then third post down.
Old 10 September 2004, 02:09 PM
Tony MY03WRX
Scooby Regular

Also have a look here m8 http://www.chiark.com/scooby/icetoc.asp

Tony
Old 10 September 2004, 03:11 PM
Ken S55
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies, I have looked at the stuff on chiarks site and it seems to cover the newage cars and classic uk cars which are different. The newage info might help me get the cup holder out though .

I think the cup holder is the cause of the problem with my current head unit as it is mounted directly above and spills are usually a direct hit.
Old 13 September 2004, 01:41 PM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

check out
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~witchell/scooby1.htm

this is for an MY97 STi Version 4.... should be similar.

good luck - and be careful!!

regards
Old 14 September 2004, 04:19 PM
Ken S55
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mikey

I had a look at that and it is for a version 3 which has the older style dash so is different. I have managed to figure it all out now though, and have taken pictures along the way so I will put something together when I get a chance and put a link to it on the sticky at the top.

Ken
Old 24 September 2004, 09:19 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

If the STI4 interior is the same as a MY99/00 then it should work as follows:
If you undo the 2 screws inside the armrest box, you should be able to remove the handbrake cover.
Next unscrew & remove the gearknob and gently pull out the gearlever surround & gaitor (up & backward)
The centre dash surround is held by 4 or 6 clips (can't exactly remember) which easily tend to fall off and disappear forever inside the dash.
I think that's all you need to do to, there is no need to remove the cupholder or air vents etc.. as these are part of the upper dash area.

From here you should see the the double din unit is held by screws by 4 L-shaped brackets, one in each corner, just unscrew and pull out the unit.

It's been a long time since I converted my standard 99 dash to fit a double DIN unit (exactly the opposite of what most people try to do)

Ramon