Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Direct, exact replacements for speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2004, 05:50 PM
Pastor
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Direct, exact replacements for speakers?

The original fit Subaru speakers in my 95 Wagon are totally useless. I've done a search and can't find any advice on some direct replacements.

My head unit which I want to keep is an old Sony MP3 circa £150 so not a high end item at all. All I want is some speakers that won't distort like my current (blown I suspect) ones do.
Can anyone recommend some front and rear direct fit replacements that might do the job and how to get at the speakers to change them. If you could it would be great.
Old 22 August 2004, 09:56 PM
murfs
Scooby Regular

To get at the speakers unscrew two screw on the side of their housing either side of the boot space. Then just pop the covers off. If you have long strong finger nails, use them otherwise use a flat screw driver but gently does it. The speakers sit in a plastic frame which then sits on a metal subframe. It's getting speakers to fit the plastic frame could be a problem, I can't help you there.
However you could take the plastic frames out and then you might find some speaker which could easily drop down and rest on the metal frame. You'll have to secure it with something though. Taking the plastic frame out is a bit of a job, if I recall correctly. I think you'll have to take off the bootwell side trimming. Takes time. You will only need to swing it out of the way for a while, but it can get awkward, like rear seats and seat belt out kind of awkward

good luck
Old 23 August 2004, 08:16 AM
Pastor
BANNED

Thumbs up

Murf, thanks very much for that I really appreciate the help.

Just need to find some speakers that will fit now.
Old 05 September 2004, 03:53 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

The front speakers should be 16cms. I think my Pioneer TS-E1675 speakers went straight in without much hassle. The slightly bigger and deeper TS-E1775s proved to be a pain in the a**e.