My hands hurt!

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2004, 07:23 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My hands hurt!

Right, that's it for the night.
I'm now the proud owner of a Kenwood KAC-8401 amp which is sitting in the car where the seat should be.

Top tip no.1: Wait for your engine to cool before trying to route your amp power lead. (got through the Aircon Grommet even though I've got cold stuff fitted)

Have routed all the wiring including speaker wire to the boot, had real trouble getting the head unit back into the dash as there's so much stuff hanging off the back of it!
Also, for an amp under the passenger seat, 5 metre RCA cables are way too long, I've had to run the bloody things up and down the car a few times.

All thats left to do is to wire up the components and I'm going to have a crack at getting some decent wire into the 6005cs's in the front doors.

Does anyone reckon it's really worth using 'proper' wire from the crossovers to the main component speakers?

AND IS IT SAFE TO RUN THE AMP ON ONLY ONE CHANNEL? I'm a bit concerned about killing my new toy.

I'll try and post some pics tomorrrow,

Cheers
Dave
Old 27 July 2004, 08:10 PM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

it is better to use propper wire from the x-over to the speakers, although if you find the correct wires in the kick pannel, then that would probobly do, as for most normal people, you probobly wouldn't be able to tell the difference, only the true audiophiles amongst us will. I hope that you have routed the coils of rca away from main power sources, as that could cause interference. it can damage the amp if you run it without an other chanel wired up, but that is in the long term, it may be best to leave the rca out of the side that is unused. Hope I have been of assistance.

Adam
Old 27 July 2004, 09:36 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Yup, RCA's are well away from the power cable, I may just wire up the rear door speakers to the amp until I get a sub installed.

Cheers

Dave
Old 28 July 2004, 09:45 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Decided to leave the amp unplugged until I can get a sub to run the 3rd bridged channel. All I have to do with the fronts is wire the amp outputs to the component crossovers in the A pillar(and re-wire the doors if I can be arsed).
Anyway, here's the pics of the amp installed.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...2/f7aa5186.jpg
Now all I have to do is Hoover!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...e/f7aa518c.jpg

Rear legroom with seat all the way forward
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...6/f7aa5183.jpg