ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Fitting an amplified bass tube to the standard head unit

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2004, 08:44 PM
jimbobc
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fitting an amplified bass tube to the standard head unit

Can anybody tell me if its possible to fit a small enclosed bass tube with built in amp to the original head unit in a my01 wrx? thanks
Old 16 July 2004, 01:35 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

Yes, you could do this in theory, but it would be pretty mad, given the quality of the standard head unit.

You would need to disconnect the rear speakers, and connect them to the amplified sub instead (thus losing the rear speakers which, to be fair, are completely useless anyway).

The Alpine SWD2000 has all the necessary cables included to do this: I know, coz there's one in a box in my shed right now!!

I will be connecting it to my new Alpine head unit which has component outs, but the SWD2000 can also be set up with speaker-level inputs; it has its own low-pass circuitry to take such a signal, as well as dedicated subwoofer-specific head unit outputs.

I bought mine here: great service. Some info on this page too:

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_p...partno=SWD2000

Two words of advice:

1... Any amplified sub will need to be directly wired to the battery. The Alpine SWD2000 has an inline 20A fuse. So you're going to have to get under the bonnet & feed a cable all the way from the battery, through a bulkhead grommet, all the way to to boot (i.e. removing the seats & pulling up carpets to do it properly). So adding an active sub IS NOT a quick route to big booms without a lot of effort!!

2... In about half the time it would take to do the above, you could fit a new head unit. I did it myself last night in under half an hour.... piece of cake, thanks to the excellent instructions in Chiarks FAQ (see sticky here). And I'm a total novice.

That would give you a far more significant improvement for less ££££ in combination with upgraded front speakers.

Talk to people.... & ask questions here. No substitute for shared experience.
Old 16 July 2004, 02:51 PM
jimbobc
Scooby Newbie

Default single din head unit looks ok?

So does the single din head unit adapter look ok? i have a kenwood mask head unit 4 x 50w which i took out of my old bmw, would that make a good difference if i upgraded the fronts, if so which fronts go straight under the grills, cheers mate