Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Mounting an Amp.........Where???

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2000, 12:35 AM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non folding seat dictates back of seat would be a nightmare, not very easy to adjust either.

I mean it looks very trick and deserves to be seen. Also under seat would make it hard to adjust.

Another thing, wheres good to mount crossovers for the front components?

Regards

Richie
Old 05 November 2000, 09:35 AM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Wheres a good place to mount my amp in an MY93 WRX??

I previously had it under the seat, but reckon it needs to be seen. Its also got a built in fan and Ive heard of them having problems with ingesting fluff etc!

Where have people had most joy. Not sure if the boot liner on the UK cars is as flimsy as the imports but nowhere really strong enough in the boot unless I screw through the liner.

Suggestions much appreciated

Richie
Old 05 November 2000, 10:48 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Hi Richie

Back of Rear seat the bit in the boot is a good place not very easy though if you dont have fold down seat or you could do a boot build, do you have any other stuff for stereo in boot (sub, crossovers, etc).

Simon
Ps What do you meen by "needs to be seen"
Old 05 November 2000, 01:26 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Hi Richie

Crossover can be mounted in anywhere really in door, under dash, or in boot if you do mount in door make sure there waterproof, i put mine inside a balloon and taped to a part of door making sure that nothing obstructed window mechanism.
For boot build i always use the carpet as a template, mark out and cut piece of 12mm MDF same size as carpet if you use spare wheel you wheel need to cut circle where wheel is. Put several tabs on underside of MDF then your wheel bit will sit nicely, also decide on how you wish to lift this should need arise. You now have a blank canvas to work with and really it's upto you how it goes from there, if you use your boot i would suggest laying everything flat and making a false floor ie another piece of MDF ontop of this, here are several web site as a guide
Old 05 November 2000, 04:34 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Richie.

Mounting the amp in the rear is always an option. Given the fact that you say that your amp has fans i presume these may be kenwoods with motorised covers?
If so, re:fluff leave the covers shut and so they do no automatically open up (i think there is a switch for this)
There is no need to worry about heat as the likes of rockford fosagte and phonix gold do not have these little cooling fans. Under the passenger seat is probably the best choice. Means less live cable and also less woring for R.C.As. Easier to adjust as well.
Depends if you want a flashy display in the rear with perspex covering or even build a fasle floor. The scoobs boot material is a very week card and does not take kindly to holes and the like. Perhaps cut a sheet of mdf and make a small build on the left or right of the boot. Use audio carpet (most colours available from car audio shops-around £15.00 for a good 3 metre roll. You will find a grey that is very similar with the current scoob lining.

You could always go the alacantra route in the rear, but it really depends on how much you use your boot. It aint cheap!

Good Luck
Ronnie H
Old 05 November 2000, 04:39 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, went for the easy option and bunged it under the seat!!

Cheers again

Richie