Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Pioneer OEL probs, and techs on here?

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2004, 04:53 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Pioneer OEL probs, any techs on here?

Hi all

I know this should be in ICE but, I am hoping there is someone in general whom may know the answer, plus at present theres only 2 viewing the ICE forum. I have a Pioneer OEL P9000R head unit with OEL display. A while ago it went a bit strange and the display is occassionaly brighter at the right hand side. About 1/4 of the display is really bright compared to the rest. If I tap it it goes back to normal.

Anyone know whats worng/how to fix?

(Moderators - Can this be left in general for a while?)

Thanks

Matt

Last edited by Mat Mc; 06 June 2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06 June 2004, 05:25 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mat Mc
I know this should be in ICE but, I am hoping there is someone in general whom may know the answer, plus at present theres only 2 viewing the ICE forum.
...but if the two people browsing there happen to know a lot about organic electroluminescent displays, you've missed the target, haven't you? If you know this should be in ICE, there's little excuse not to post there. Same as with all the other threads that really belong somewhere else.

Anyone know whats worng/how to fix?
Sounds like there's an intermittent contact between the display and the driver board, or indeed a component on the driver board itself. Impossible to say how (or if) you'd fix it without actually seeing the nature of the problem.
Old 06 June 2004, 05:38 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Greasmonkey

Did you intend to offend or condescend? (wow, poet did not know it!)

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
...but if the two people browsing there happen to know a lot about organic electroluminescent displays, you've missed the target, haven't you? If you know this should be in ICE, there's little excuse not to post there. Same as with all the other threads that really belong somewhere else.

Sounds like there's an intermittent contact between the display and the driver board, or indeed a component on the driver board itself. Impossible to say how (or if) you'd fix it without actually seeing the nature of the problem.
Big Wooop! Chances are their not experts in electroluminescent displays like yourself.

I’m not an engineer but, I could have guessed that myself. Cheers!

Don’t particularly want to be negative but you kind of pis”ed on my thread which was only a polite request for help from fellow Scooby owners.
Old 06 June 2004, 06:18 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Whether you care to admit it or not, it's practically impossible for anyone here to give you a pinpoint accurate diagnosis/suggested fix for this fault without even seeing the bloody thing, so what, exactly, were you expecting? One of us wave a magic wand and all of a sudden it'd be fine?

Unfortunately, the only way you're going to get a worthwhile answer to this is to take it down to your local car stereo dealer and have them take a look.

As for p*ss*ng on your thread, aside from the fact that, as mentioned, the best people to sort this out are your local ICE dealers, you deliberately posted it in a forum in which it didn't belong, so what else did you expect?
Old 06 June 2004, 06:35 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Smile

Grease Monkey - Are you having a bad day?

Yet again you have not really offered any advice but took it upon yourself to moderate Scoobynet. Is it really that offensive to you that I dare to ask a question about ICE in the general forum?

It's already been moved to ICE so you should now be feeling all warm inside!

From reading Scoobynet for over a year now the very nature of the majority of questions is enquiring whether anyone else has had the exact same problem. I wasn't asking for pin point accuracy just friendly help.

Maybe someone will be able to say "oh yes, the display is broken you will have to buy a new one" or "one of the pins is loose"

Surely if a local ICE dealer is online he or she might be able to have a guess just from the description of the problem.

With almost 5000 posts I would have thought you would be more of a positive charachter on Scoobynet rather than having a pop at me.

I mean come on, I wasn't asking how to fix a washing machine it's a flippin car stereo.

Truce?

Anyone else, ideas/experiences welcome!

Last edited by Mat Mc; 06 June 2004 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06 June 2004, 07:56 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Short of cleaning the terminals there arent any serviceable parts on these, take it to your friendly local ICE install/supplier and show them.
Old 06 June 2004, 11:18 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by UHF
Short of cleaning the terminals there arent any serviceable parts on these, take it to your friendly local ICE install/supplier and show them.

Cheers, much as I suspected just hoping for a miracle

Matt
Old 06 June 2004, 11:38 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

i had/have the same problem with my OEL screen. at first, like you mentioned, it was a small section on the right hand side, about 1/6th of the screen that would sort inverse it birghtness compared to the rest of the scree. a flick would usually sort it out, but then it would come back again.

eventually the whole screen goes mad, and sometimes the display is fine, sometimes its half missing, and then other times its not there at all!

i took it back to a dealer who basically sent it back to pioneer an they replaced the face for me. a year later, the screen has gone again. but my settigns are fine now, so i aint too bothered if i can see the dolphins now!

if its still under warranty, take it back asap. the OEL is on its way out!
Old 06 June 2004, 11:39 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

wow, my spelling is terrible above ^^^ sorry
Old 09 June 2004, 01:30 AM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jag_h
i had/have the same problem with my OEL screen. at first, like you mentioned, it was a small section on the right hand side, about 1/6th of the screen that would sort inverse it birghtness compared to the rest of the scree. a flick would usually sort it out, but then it would come back again.

eventually the whole screen goes mad, and sometimes the display is fine, sometimes its half missing, and then other times its not there at all!

i took it back to a dealer who basically sent it back to pioneer an they replaced the face for me. a year later, the screen has gone again. but my settigns are fine now, so i aint too bothered if i can see the dolphins now!

if its still under warranty, take it back asap. the OEL is on its way out!
Thanks for the advice, I'll probably end up getting a new one eventually as the waranty is up. Its such a pain as it's a good unit

Matt
Old 09 June 2004, 12:04 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

As above, if you can't improve it by cleaning the contacts or checking cabling internally, then you're on to getting it serviced by someone who knows their onions.

the OLED displays are not cheap

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 10 June 2004, 12:22 AM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

i forgot to mention mine got repaired outside of warranty. cost me £70 for the new face.... lasted circa a year to 18months, then it went again.

my pioneer is of the first gen OELs. before Dolphins, instead i have the city and space display or an equaliser.

This HU is in my day to day car. i bought a Pioneer 77MP for the scoob, and i cant fault it... if you want an upgrade, this gets my vote for circa £200-250! no dodgy OEL to mess up, just pure sound engineering...