Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

6x9 in the rear shelf,on the classic? ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2004, 04:09 PM
Simonz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6x9 in the rear shelf,on the classic? ? ? ?

Hi,. ok,...so i need 2 buy some 6x9 for the parcel shelf on my classic wrx but me dont think there gonna fit as the holes cut out in the metal dont look big enough!,.......who's got sum 6x9 fitted? is it a case of HAVIN 2 cut the holes bigger in the metal or what?

If so,... how do i go about doin this without making a complete mess of it(like i did with a montege sallon i had)?

thanks in advance,.........plz HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!urgent fittin required!
Old 22 May 2004, 10:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Have a look on www.chiark.co.uk, which is very helpful.

Someone on here recently said they'd fitted their 6x9's into the existing cutouts in the metal, and just drilled new holes, angling the speakers so that the least amount of speaker is covered.

That sounds OK to me, as whatever 6x9 you put in has to be better than the stock speaker, so covering a little won't matter.

You have to remove the rear parcel shelf, which can be a bitch.

I've got a set of 3-way Sony 6x9's waiting for me to fit'em.

Alcazar
Old 22 May 2004, 11:46 PM
Simonz
Scooby Regular

cheerz 4 that m8!
Old 23 May 2004, 11:42 AM
Coulster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simonz
Hi,. ok,...so i need 2 buy some 6x9 for the parcel shelf on my classic wrx but me dont think there gonna fit as the holes cut out in the metal dont look big enough!,.......who's got sum 6x9 fitted? is it a case of HAVIN 2 cut the holes bigger in the metal or what?

If so,... how do i go about doin this without making a complete mess of it(like i did with a montege sallon i had)?

thanks in advance,.........plz HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!urgent fittin required!
I fitted vibe 6*9s in my uk turbo MY99 and they sounded ok.
B@stard to fit...took about 3 hours and a lot of messing about with MDF!

I have removed these and fitted some infinity 17cm speakers run off an amp.
Wow what a difference! If I new what they sounded like before I had bought and fitted the vibes I wouldnt have bothered.

To be fair I did have to make 5 mm mdf template for the 17cm speakers to get a decent base as I didnt fancy bolting them to the metal shelf....also used dynamat on the shelf aswell.

Took about an hour in total making template (easy), soldering the speaker wire on and running the cable to the amp.

You could run them off a half decent head unit but I would spend that bit extra and go for the amp.....superb!

Of course all depends on your budget and knowledge of competence in fitting speakers/stereo etc.

Personaly I would say dont bother with them.

( I fitted them whils I ran cabling for amps, rear speakers, front components, had the rear seats out, front door cards off, side trim off, glove box out and under the steeringwheel trim off.....so maybe if you dont fancy doing all that go for the 6*9s.....lol)

Everyone has an individual opinion on what they think is the best set up and this is mines.......it is only a suggestion and by no means must you do it, good luvk with what you decide on.
Old 24 May 2004, 09:42 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar

Someone on here recently said they'd fitted their 6x9's into the existing cutouts in the metal, and just drilled new holes, angling the speakers so that the least amount of speaker is covered.
Think I said that? I bought some 6X9 JBLs and I just offered them up underneath the rear shelf and marked up the holes and positioned the speakers in such a way so that only a small amount was restricted by the metalwork.

I guess going for 17cm would probably be a tidier fit but I'm very pleased with how the JBLs sound so they can stay there

Only thing is now the rears are upgraded the front sounds a bit poo. Not sure whether to get 6.5" 2 ways or components but if components the tweeter must be able to fit in the door handle becuase I don't want them visible. Plus a small 10" sub in the boot.
Old 24 May 2004, 10:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool

I've already uprated my fronts to 16cm Sony 3-way ones.

(Yes, I know Sony don't figure on most people's buying list, but I auditioned loads, and liked the sound of the Sonys: )

I had to make a couple of MDF rings to mount the speakers, but I'm pleased with the results. The MDF rings are held in with the original screws from the old speakers, and the new speakers are screwed to the MDF with stainless pan headed self-tappers.

Oh, and I painted the MDF against damp before fitting it.

Alcazar
Old 24 May 2004, 10:25 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

I have JBL power 6 x 9's in the back of mine but they were already there when i got the car. I think they have been professionally fitted though and the shelf has been cut. They sound real good