Replacing only head unit.

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2004, 10:24 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing only head unit.

Hi,

I have already done a thread on here about changing the head unit & speakers on my brand new WRX.

To be honest I don't really at the moment want to start messing about removing door panels etc to change the front speakers on my brand new car.

My question is if I just change the head unit will I notice any improvement in the sound quality. I have noticed that the quality is much better ( although still not great ) when using the radio. It is the CD player that seems really poor.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07 May 2004, 12:02 AM
stiks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pflowers
Hi,

I have already done a thread on here about changing the head unit & speakers on my brand new WRX.

To be honest I don't really at the moment want to start messing about removing door panels etc to change the front speakers on my brand new car.

My question is if I just change the head unit will I notice any improvement in the sound quality. I have noticed that the quality is much better ( although still not great ) when using the radio. It is the CD player that seems really poor.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm in the same boat, except I dont mind replacing OEM speakers with some better ones, I just can't be @rsed if they foul up the window mech etc. Are there any which are good quality and are plug and play...literally ?
Old 07 May 2004, 11:54 AM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Changing just the head unit will improve the sound however, I found the biggest difference when I changed the speakers. Installing different front speakers is such a simple job (just follow Chiarks guide) and if done with care, doesn't leave hardly any tell-tale marks of it being done. I personally, would always advise replacing the fronts with speakers like the Infinity 605's.
Old 08 May 2004, 02:32 PM
pearcey555
Scooby Newbie

Have to agree with Taff here... I have changed both head unit and speakers, but did the H/U first. It did improve the sound quality a fair bit, but any sort of volume then the speakers coundn't handle it. I have put in INfinities.... problem then is that i want/need more bass, but haven't got around to changing anything else.....

Changing the speakers is relatively easy (although i did have help from a mate who used to do it professionally !;o)) - just a bit time consuming. Saying that I have kinda c*cked up the cabling on the drivers side and my window has disconnected the midrange again..... something to bear in mind i guess.

Go on - spend a few extra pennies, it will be worth it.
Old 08 May 2004, 02:58 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

You really do need to change the speakers because whilst you have them out you can dynamat behind them and on the inside of the outer door skin. This make a big difference to the amount of bass that is fed back and also gets rid of the tinnyness of the front doors.

I really don't think just changing the HU is really worth it.
Old 08 May 2004, 09:29 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

just upgrade the HU first, there will be an improvement for sure. if your happy with how it sounds afterwards, then so beit, if your still demanding more, then look into upgrading the speakers.

just take it one step at a time...