Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Classic 6x9 Install

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2004, 10:40 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Classic 6x9 Install

Bought a pair of Infinity 9603 6x9 speakers for the back of my MY00 at the weekend, after reading chiarks site - I'm more confused than thought I was!

Is it really necessary to remove the seats? and how does the existing speaker grille come out?

I was under the impression that I'd need to get the jigsaw out to enlargen the holes - Is this not the case?

Will the wiring connections be a simple "unplug from old then replug into new"?

Also - do I need to do anything to the new speakers before fitting?
Old 05 May 2004, 02:49 PM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

slow down there mate... loadsa q's

1) yes you do have to take the rear seats out. undo the two bolts at the front of the back bench - near your ankles if you were sitting on the seat.
rotate that edge of the bench seat up and pull away from the hook in the back support (bang in the middle of the bottom of the back support)

then undo the bolts at the bottom of the back support and slide the whole thing up and off.

2) the grilles are interal to the shelf so do not attempt to rmove them on their own. The shelf removes via popping out the plastic connectors between the shelf and the metal surface under it. It's a brave thing to do, but it does 'do'.

3) the 6x9 should be able to be fitted from under the metal shelf - from inside the boot, running the bolts through from the top of the shelf. It's easy really and you shouldn't need to make the holes any bigger if you position them right. I've done it with JBL 6x9's. Then you just put it all back - stealth speakers too!! Hidden by the naff original grilles......

4) you could adapt the existing wires, but these may not handle any additional power (if you are using amps) and will sound sh*te compared to running some good cable. (even £1-£2 per metre stuff will be much better)

you are more than welcome to come and see how I've done mine if you are near Horsham.

cheers

Mikey

Originally Posted by messiah
Bought a pair of Infinity 9603 6x9 speakers for the back of my MY00 at the weekend, after reading chiarks site - I'm more confused than thought I was!

Is it really necessary to remove the seats? and how does the existing speaker grille come out?

I was under the impression that I'd need to get the jigsaw out to enlargen the holes - Is this not the case?

Will the wiring connections be a simple "unplug from old then replug into new"?

Also - do I need to do anything to the new speakers before fitting?