ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

what length RCA do you reckon?

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2004, 08:38 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what length RCA do you reckon?

do you guys reckon i could get away with £ metres of RCA to go from HU to boot on a classic, or would i be better with 5M?

the only reason i ask, is cos im lookin at some stuff which is cira £60 per metre, so the less i need the better. if 3m does the job, then i've saved £120! which will go nicely towards my second pair

btw, im planning on running the cable straight through the middle of the car, past the handbrake console etc.
Old 09 April 2004, 10:08 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

I've put a sony 4 channel amp in my car, and ran 2 rca to the boot from the head unit to run 6x9 in the shelf of my classic and a sub, I bought 3m leads,but they were too short, you might just get away with 4metres, though it will be close.

having said that, if you are indeed running the cable through the centre of your car, then 3m will be enough, I ran mine along the sides

Last edited by Cornelius; 09 April 2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10 April 2004, 10:55 AM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

hmm. so 3m is touch and go then?

damn! i guess i gotta save for a bit longer then
Old 10 April 2004, 04:51 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

i would go for 5m because when you route the cable through the car it always seems to take a longer route than when you measure it (i've learnt from my mistakes)
Old 10 April 2004, 06:28 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

cheers, here's to a longer delay for the ICE setup then
Old 10 April 2004, 08:25 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

My RCA cables are ALL 4 metres in length,was plenty, i've 4 run into the boot from the H/U, I run them along the center of the car not down the cills.

I made all my cables up myself out of triple sheild OFC cable and quality gold plate RCA plugs. I get no noise on the set-up at all and saved a packed as well.
Old 11 April 2004, 02:09 PM
Pittsey
Scooby Regular

Definately go for at least 4m. 3 is too short. I learned that myself.
Old 11 April 2004, 03:05 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

cheers guys
Old 11 April 2004, 04:59 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Jag h, with reference to the comment below
((the only reason i ask, is cos I'm looking at some stuff which is cira £60 per metre))

just thinking why do you want to spend £60 m on RCA cables, I'm not saying you should not if you want to it's just that i was involved in the sound off scene a few years ago and i know that there is a lot of bullsh*t about cables, when used in a car i don't think you would notice the difference between a cable costing £60 m or a cable that costs £60 for 5m and it would still be of high quality, the money you saved could go on better speakers or amps which would make a bigger difference in sound quality.
Hope you don't think I'm having a go at you it's just as i said in my last thread (I've learnt from my mistakes) and i think the money could be used for better things and don't get carried away with the sales person trying to sell you the dogs boll**ks.

P.S.
The same goes for speaker cable

Last edited by Granby; 11 April 2004 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12 April 2004, 12:23 AM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

I agree with GRANBY. As a test you could run a standard RCA cable (<£10) alongside your expensive one and compare the sound difference. I doubt you would notice any difference or loss of quality.

If you run the RCA cable down the centre, then 90 degrees under the seat to the skirts, then to the boot you will only need 4m.
Old 12 April 2004, 11:02 AM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

thanks for the input guys. i understand what your saying about the cost of this cable. i tried using a budget RCA and to be honest, it started to distort after volume level 30! thats only half way.

i then swapped the RCA for some QED that i have at home in the house setup. and the differnce in sound was incredible! im running Boston Pro 6.5s which are good for 400w RMS @3 OHM. the last thing i want is for poor cabling to let the setup down.

i am looking toward QED Quenx 1 as supposed to all the Pheonix Gold stuff that the ICE retailers suggests. i dont think i need a dizzy block, or cut off switch.

im just looking at a Yellow top optima deep cycle battery, maybe an upgraded alternator, and a pair of Sinfoni amps (or similar)