ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Fitting 17cm Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2000, 04:35 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I rather stupidly bought some Pioneer 17cm speakers for my Scoob without doing my homework. The vendor told me they'd fit with only minor adjustments necessary and I believed him. Having now offered them up they appear to be too deep (and holes in wrong place) preventing the front windows opening fully.

My question is, has anyone else succesfully fitted 17cm speakers, maybe by designing an interface ring which would bring the speakers forward 6-7mm.

Any suggestions welcome. Alternatively anyone interested in a pair of new TS C1720's?.

Thanks,
Old 24 September 2000, 09:17 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

They should fit, but you're right: you'll need to make a collar. I made 2x6mm MDF collars. One for the back of the speakers, and one for the front of the pods, then screwed em together.

Not the clearest of descriptions, but it can be done.

It was 6/10 on the ball ache scale due to cutting, retrying, re-cutting, retrying...

Your dealer is a git
Old 27 September 2000, 09:50 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Chiark,

Thanks for the reply I think I'll give it a go, a bit of mdf wont break the bank. Actually I bought the speakers through the For Sale section on the Scoobynet.

Can you explain why I need two collars for each speaker. Is it the case that if I bring forward the speaker by say 6mm then it will foul the speaker grill built into the door panel?. So the second collar pulls the grills forward from the door panel also by 6mm?. Or am I completely off track?.
Old 02 October 2000, 09:32 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

It was because my speaker driver mounting holes actually were bigger than the pod (ie nothing for the screws to bite on to).

<PRE>

|_ _|
| | <- This bit is about 6mm
\____/

</PRE>

So I had to make two collars, one of which had a huge cutout, leaving about 5mm of mdf, and the other had a smaller cutout, leaving about 10mm of MDF and allowing me to fit it on the pod.

One collar fits snugly on the ring labelled "this bit..." and means that the next collar down can be smaller, and thus overlap the actual plastic pod.

Of course, your drivers may fit without this hassle. Mine had me scratching my head for a while.

I hope this makes some sense. Drop me a line if it doesn't.
Old 15 October 2000, 11:44 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Nick,

Update on the 17cm speaker saga. I finally fitted 'em, neat job too. Dropped in on the INCA dealers in Welwyn Garden City on Saturday fully expecting to be fleeced for a new pair of speakers. But no!, the dude sold me a new pair of 17cm pods which, for 11 quid is a lot cheaper. The pods only line up over 2 of the 3 mount holes in the door so had to drill 1 small hole in each door. But, the new pods are not only bigger but deeper too so no problems when winding the window down. I also fixed the rain problem too as the new pods dont provide any protection. You know those plastic bowls that xmas puddings come in. Well I chopped one in half, trimmed, bent 2 lugs on each one for the screws you know what I mean. Well theyre perfect!. Mind the Pioneer box says they are water resistant so maybe not necessary.

Finally glued the tweeters into the grill in the top of the door using clear silicon. First speaker took all saturday afternoon, second about 90 mins before Sunday lunch and that included fitting some Brown Bread too.

Thanks for suggesting I give it another go, they sound soooo much better.

One final comment. The guy who sold me them may well have been on the level after all. The INCA dealer reckons UK cars are fitted with 17cm pods while Euro imports are 16cm.