ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

what ice you got in your newage

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2004, 08:56 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and how do you rate it?

I have a panasonic head unit, infinity kappa componets up front powered by a bbg amp and a vibe 10inch active sub

- This sound poor, there always seems to be a big gap behind you head

puting in rear 6x9s( pionear) and a 4 channel amp (mac audio) plus cabling the amp with good cable unlike the wet string that the so call pro's used
gggrrrr if a jobs worth doing ...........
Old 21 January 2004, 09:38 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Rich,

I run a Kenwood PSW9524 unit with CDT HD62DTs in the front and a Diamond M6 12" sub in the rear for sub, all powered off a Soundstream Continuum. Equaliser/x-over is a Rockford Symmetry EPX2.

Rears are factory fit still, and are off the head unit faded out to non-existence - that shows you what I think of rear speakers

Overall, I like the sound bordering on loving it. I still should take some of the midrange out with the EPX, but it makes for pretty involving vocals so it's still staying in there.

Play with speaker positioning, particularly tweeter positioning, as you should get a fair amount of ambience even from the standard locations.

Cheers,
nick.

[Edited by chiark - 1/21/2004 9:40:10 PM]
Old 21 January 2004, 10:49 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Well, I have a Pioneer DEH-P77MP, to a Pioneer GMX374 4 channel amp. Fronts are 6.5" Phoenix Gold Tantrums, rear doors are some 4" Kenwood jobbies and a pair of 6x9 Genesis Profile subs under the rear shelf.

Cabling must have cost me between £100 and £120. Adding the amp and headunit took me a day, the subs took an afternoon because I had already laid much of the cabling initially. I could probably do the subs in a couple of hours now that I know what I'm doing.

Steve
Old 22 January 2004, 01:39 PM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

Alpine head unit and 6-disk changer (cant remember the number) hopefully to be changed for an MP3 player soon!
Infinity 605c 6.5" components up front
Vibe VP4 amp with seperate bass control powering a Vibe 2x12" sub box (mucho fun )

Saving for a 4-channel amp and some rear speakers
Standard fronts sounded sooo much better with just a head unit swap, but the Infinities sound a lot better, cant wait for the amp and new head unit
Old 01 February 2004, 10:26 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

well my project has got started I ve installed a new amp ( mac audio mx 4000 ( 4 channel and new head unit - Clarion dxz938r

I ve got Thursday / Friday off, so I should have time to install the 6x9's ( pionner a9610)

now 2 problem I have found - how do you pass a new cable into the door to replace the old speaker cable

and how have people mounted thier amps this one's quite big and wont screw to the bak of the seat like my last one

This is a top ICE forum, I havent used it much but fair play to the mods as they have put the effort in

[Edited by WRX_Rich - 2/1/2004 10:29:15 PM]
Old 02 February 2004, 08:51 AM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Second question first - back of the rear seat, but it's small enough to do that...

First question - I assume you mean front doors. Here's my answer to a earlier thread.

Speaker leads

cheers

Steve
Old 02 February 2004, 08:53 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Rich,

I gave up trying to fit Phoenix Gold zeropoint cable (about the same size externally as 4AWG power cable ) so ended up coming out of an unused grommet from the car-side of the door, and entering the standard sheath at the top of the sheath. Seal it all with a sealant, otherwise your doors will get wet!

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 02 February 2004, 11:49 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Question

cheers guys I must have saved a fortune talking to you ( or may be you cost me a fortune Im not quite sure yet )

Right I think Ive got the doors sorted - I am using think cable so I might have to do the same as Chiark, I

I have run all my power down the passenger side ( on second thoughts I should have gone down the centre ) so I have run both speaker cables down the drivers side but I have took passenger side speaker cable all the way round the front, this way I don't have to put it next to the power cables

2 more questions

1 - What do you rekon about the 6 * 9s, above or bellow the metal frame in the boot - Jockytt I have read all your posts , what you rekon you seem to be the main man on this. I ve got the 12mm mdf spacers made already -

2 - I still have a set of 5 inch PG tantaum components sat around that will fit in the rear doors and I have my old bbg amp to run them, as it will cost me nothing ( I even have the collers ) is it worth me putting them in as I know rear speakers don't do it for some

thanks again guys
Old 03 February 2004, 08:27 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Power down the passenger side is the best option IMHO, as it means cable runs are shortest due to the battery being on that side of the engine bay.

Speaker cable next to the power cable really doesn't matter. The only cable to worry about is RCA cable, which works well down the middle of the car.

6x9s aren't the solution to all bass issues: use a good 6x9 that is designed for sub bass like the genesis ones, or filter them to remove the high frequencies so as to not knacker your sound stage.

I definitely wouldn't have full range 6x9s and something full range in the rear doors, as you'll have too many sources for sound. If you do drop the PG stuff in the rears, don't run full range on the shelf.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 03 February 2004, 09:32 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers - I will take you advice and only put in the 6*9s in the rear
Old 03 February 2004, 10:38 PM
bigdwrx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Who needs any stereo ice in a scooby just roll the window down and listen to the flat four when you floor it through the gears music to your ears especially when goin through a tunnel .

The best sound goin ditch the subs and listen to the bass from the engine .

Old 04 February 2004, 10:19 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Gets boring on a motorway tho
Old 04 February 2004, 11:40 AM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

If you fit the 6x9's in the parcel shelf then from below is the 'stealth' option. It is actually less work than making a new MDF shelf. Mounting from underneath removes all the hassles that you have with the depth of the magnet and the available space offered by the existing holes. It only requires drilling (in my case) 8 small holes.

The downside that I can see is that if you are fitting full range 6x9's then unless you cut an aperture in the existing shelf and fit a grill, any treble will be muffled. However, if your intention is to enhance bass then as Chiark says, you could filter out the treble anyway, leaving you with the bass.

Happy to discuss with you what I have done, Rich. If you like....

Surely fitting 6x9's in the rear doors would require some cutting of the door metal?
Old 05 February 2004, 08:47 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

wow wow wow wow, spent another full day working on it - just got to put in one more 6 x9 and jobs a good n

Already the sound has improoved 10 fold, (with no rear spaekrs attached)

such a huge improvment for just changing the head unit and the cables

how do you guys set up your filters and amps (LPF, HPF and gain ?) at the moment I have just left it how it arrived as I want the full effect when Im finished

good job I ve booked 4 days off work to do this, I ve spent 2 whole days so far

cheers

Rich
Old 07 February 2004, 03:53 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

ahhh all finished took well over 20 hours to fit but I am so happy - last problem is........... what do you set the frequency for the filters , I can do it on both head unit and amp, I haven't got a clue how to set up the amp but it still sounds really really good

thanks again jockytt and chairk, I will be ( fingers crossed ) at Jap fest, traxs etc if you see me please say hello so I can say thanks in person for all the help you have gave me I would never of had a chance with out you guys, people like your selves will keep scoobynet going what ever the owners decide to do with it

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 07 February 2004 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08 February 2004, 09:41 AM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

So Rich, what did you end up doing? How did you fit it all in in the end?

I set the LPF on the amp and the HU for the 6x9's at 50hz and the high pass filter for the fronts to 50hz also. Means my rears are concentrating on the lower frequencies with the fronts set for the higher ones.

I'm useless at setting gains, but I generally turn the vol on the HU up to near max, gain at 0 on the amp and increase it slowly to either the maximum of the speaker or te maximum I can stand....!

Steve
Old 08 February 2004, 10:10 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Cool

6x9's under the rear shelf.. I would put a picture up but it looks just the same as yours

I replaced all speaker cable

10 inch vibe sub in the boot which is screwed to a mdf base under the boot carpet ( much better than velcro etc)

4 channel amp powering the 6 x 9s ( very low gain ) belive it or not I have set these to full pass, it does sound better just adds that rear fill I have always been after

fronts set to high pass with medium gain and dynamat on the doors

and a nice Clarion head unit that I still get confused with all the options

the sound is unreal I love it, every thing sounds just right, not like some of my old cars which were base monsters where turning up the volume makes the wing mirrors vibrate, the best way to describle it is balanced it sounds good together, the sound comes from the front BUT you can not telll that the sub is pounding away in the back

I will go and set the fronts to 50 hz and the sub thanks again

Rich