Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Audio and Radio Interference

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2004, 06:08 PM
Lyricman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I upgraded my system in my STI 03 I noticed a very small interference buzzing that increased with the revs when the music was turned right down and also the radio was very weak. Took it back to the installers who re-routed all the cables and moved the line out signal cables down the tunnel as recommended by Chiark. I can't belive it the guys have tried everything and can't get rid of it. I also have a high pitched whine on the Radio and CD that increases with revs making it really annoying.
I couldn't leave the car so had to take it. I have noticed the Radio signal is very weak and I get a lot of squelching on it.
It was fine with the original 2 Din unit. They have looked at the earthing, the radio amp on the windscreen etc. and everything is connected okay.
The earth of the amp is connected to the Seat belt fixings, is that ok.
The installer doesn't know what else to do.
Any help would be appreciated

Old 21 January 2004, 06:40 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Have you connected the remote turn on lead on your headunit? On Pioneers it's labelled Remote I think and is blue. Think you've done this already but best to check.

Steve
Old 21 January 2004, 11:08 PM
Lyricman
Scooby Regular

Is that the power for the aerial booster. If so it is connected and when I disconnect it the signal goes completely.
Old 21 January 2004, 11:16 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

That's it. Oh well, just a thought. My amplifier has summat called a Beat Frequency Control switch which you turn on if you get this problem. Doyou have one of these?

Have you routed your power cables separately away from your RCA's or together?
Old 22 January 2004, 08:51 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

In short, they need to sort it. They should know the drill for eliminating noise from the system. It can be a pain the neck, but it's their problem if you paid someone to install it. Tinkering with it just gives them an excuse to say you caused the problem...

For eliminating noise, see talkaudio.co.uk FAQs - there's loads of very good advice in there.