ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Replacement Speakers - is this advice any good

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2004, 02:47 PM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Went to local ICE dealer who advises that if I want to change Front and rear speakers in my STi8 then I would need 170mm speakers and he suggested Kenwood Dual Mags, esp for fronts.

Any comments on size and model suggested
Old 02 January 2004, 08:11 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Smile

If the STi8 is the same as most other Imprezas (and I see no reason why it wouldn't be), then either 6" (approx 16cm) or 6.5" (approx 17cm) will fit the front doors. You normally need a spacer ring so that the magnets don't go too far back into your doors and stop the window travel.

The same sizes apply to rear shelf speakers but there is also normally an adaptor plate that you can take out and fit 6x9s. If you stick your head in the boot and look at the underside of the shelf, you'll see what I mean. I haven't done this myself yet but it's what I've read on other threads.

I've never heard Kenwood Dual Mags but, as a general rule, I prefer Pioneers as they give a clearer sound. Each to their own though - it's down to everyone's personal preference.
Old 02 January 2004, 08:32 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Kenwood dual mags are very, very easy to fit as they have very slim magnets - this advice would appear to suggest that the dealer has done a recent impreza before...

Sound is personal - generalising massively, I found kenwood component sets preferable to Pioneer, as I found the pioneer too bright in comparison. However, one man's meat is another's poison

Have a listen to them, but I don't think that the advice is bad at all.
Cheers,
nick.
Old 03 January 2004, 12:48 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Smile

I fitted Kenwood dual mags in my my01 UK300 front and back. They do have slim magnets which was a plus, but I still found I had to make up some mdf spacers. I found fitting the rears to be a right pain, required spacers but then the door panel would not fit back on correctly, (still needs sorting). I would say listen before you buy.
Old 05 January 2004, 11:52 PM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your hepl guys, what I'm hearing from this and similar posts on the subject is that the Dual Mags are a good fit for the fronts, but the rears are a little trickier, does anyone have a recomendation as to what would be a good fit in the rear?

Would for example some existing Focal Two-Way Co-Axial 5 inch 130Hc's that I have kicking around the place do well?

Ihave also recently seen a compact Alpine Active Sub that could be placed in the boot, which has a quick release if short on space, has anyone got any experience on this unit?

[Edited by Scooby - 1/6/2004 12:00:40 AM]
Old 08 January 2004, 11:44 PM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

Fitted the dual mag speakers in my front doors of my STi8- piece of cake. The most difficult bit was locating the crossovers, although not a major problem.

The sound quality is superb - IMHO.
I have had the original speakers, some Sony speakers and some Pioneer speakers in the front and all were crap. The wife thought I was mad to keep buying more speakers.

Can't comment on the rear door - I have disconnected mine and have two small Kenwood subs mounted in the rear shelf.

Best of British

Simon
Old 09 January 2004, 07:44 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I have dual mags in the front door of my MY02, with 12mm MDF spacers, they fitted a treat, and the tweeters are just the right size for the original fitting positions too.

Personally, I think the dual mags are a better sounding (much clearer) speaker than the inifinity 605cs that seem very popular here - I have the infinitys in my back shelf though, as I got them cheap. I'd agree that the recent Pinoneer integrated (2way) speakers are better than equivalent Kenwoods, but have not heard Pioneer components that are as good as the dual mags. All IMHO.