Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

In Car DAB.. Better than FM?

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2003, 07:25 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know about the benefits of DAB as I have a DAB receiver. But in house in much different to in car.

Anyone got one fitted in the car?

If so...is the reception as good, especially moving from one area to another where you could loose some stations completely?

More importantly, is the in car noise too much to reap the benefits over FM?
Old 16 November 2003, 11:46 AM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Have a Kenwood set up. Quality of sound in DAB seems better.

Reception has improved over the last few months as more stations seem to be broadcasting.

Can now go from Reading and around to Peterborough with out too much trouble.

Blind spot on M25 aroun where the wind geneartor is.

I am quite happy with it now.
Old 18 November 2003, 07:38 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Thanks m8.

It looks like I may wait on a little yet.

The station list up ere in t'north is little light (7 or 8), and couple this with your 'not too great' results may mean that waiting will enable me to get a better system later when things are sorted out.
Old 19 November 2003, 07:30 PM
mattm
Scooby Newbie

Which DAB antenna do you use?

New scoobs have the FM antenna in the rear screen heater matrix, so there is no existing hole to fit a DAB antenna without drilling.

The other alternative is a glass mount, but as it has to pass the signal through the glass, I am dubious about how good the regional reception will be?
Old 21 November 2003, 10:58 AM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Good points Matt... Anyone?
Old 22 November 2003, 12:16 PM
NeilWRX03
Scooby Newbie

No idea if DAB in car is worth the premium, but will let y'all know as I'm off to get one today. I have to replace the thrashy standard unit, and I might as well go the whole hog.

Haven't yet decided between the Kenwood setup or Blaupunkt Woodstock.

watch this space!

Neil
Old 22 November 2003, 04:49 PM
The Romping Armadillo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

DAB reception should be getting better very shortly, theres another 30-40 odd transmitters going on air, and a lot of the existing sites are getting power upgrades from 300watts to 1.5KW

Trending Topics

Old 23 November 2003, 05:28 PM
NeilWRX03
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

OK - first impression (with the Kenwood KRC-694 installed and connected to the existing glass mount aerial for FM and the 9090DAB box and aerial for DAB) is not great.

The FM sounds better! It seems fuller and richer.

Admittedly:

1. The DAB aerial is not installed properly (I think this should only make a difference in terms of number of stations, not quality);

2. I haven't worked out how to save the volume level on each mode, so when I flip between FM and DAB the FM is louder which might skew the comparison;

3. I get good FM reception in Peterborough, especially when it p***es it down for some reason.

Not at all what I expected, especially as the standard FM aerial is supposed to be pretty poor. I will see how I get on with it further afield and repost soon, but just at the moment i can see myself taking the DAB unit back.

Incidentally, anyone know why I can't get my Kenwood CD changer to change discs/tracks? It plays through the unit, but is showing as "AUX 1" rather than "CD Changer"?
Old 28 November 2003, 12:15 AM
The Romping Armadillo
Scooby Regular

FM will sound fuller and richer, thats due to the amount of processing placed on the audio signal at the transmitter sites. Thats why you find some FM stations are louder than others ie. Radio 1 is often louder and also richer in bass than some of the local comercial stations. Digital radio is virtually straight out the radio station into the multiplex, off to the appropriate transmitter with little if any audio processing, correction or limiting to the audio.

The installation of your DAB aerial will have an affect on the number of stations you can pick up, however it wont be single stations you lose it will be a whole ensemble or group of stations for example the Digital 1 ensemble (Classic, Planet Rock, Core, etc.) or Leicester ensemble (Sabras, Excel, Jazz I think, etc).

Cant help with the volume level on each mode as that will be set different on each model of headunit but should be in the manual.

The only reason I can think of you getting a better signal when it p***es it down is with the change in atmosphere with pressure humidity and all that and the effect it would have on the propogation of the RF signal.

As you go further a field towards the north, midlands, and London you'll probably get a better reception as theres more transmitters around there. With it being a single frequency network it will basically use the stronger signal then use the others for error correction. As you head out towards Norfolk it might get worse as there is less transmitters out there because of the flat terrain and little to block the signal so you'll be relying on just the one signal.
Old 28 November 2003, 12:22 AM
The Romping Armadillo
Scooby Regular

Forgot - the aerial wont effect the quality of the station as digital is supposedly on or off (no hiss). However I've found as you start to lose the regional stations coverage it does just go off but can come back on, then off, then on, then off etc. It can do it at a speed that it creates a warbling sound over the music rather than noise or hiss.
Old 28 November 2003, 05:00 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

When the signal is present it blows AM away as you might expect. Just installed a Woodstock and the Radio 5 Live is superb compared with the old AM. Seems DAB wins out at the moment because of the channels you can get which are not available to you on FM.

If I only wanted FM I would have waited for prices to come down and the DAB availability to improve.

My 2p
Old 29 November 2003, 12:32 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Good point about the AM reception. I listen to 5 live a lot and agree that the AM reception is worth the price of my Intempo 'in house' unit alone (£120).

Neil. Many thanks for putting your points down... is does show from 'real use' that the DAB us suffering due to lack of tranmitters and general coverage.

I don't think your setup / antenna install will make that much difference. The power upgrade will.

It may be worth holding out a little to see if the power increase as pointed out by 'Romping' will make your reception better.

The lack of stations IS an issue, that time, again, will address.

Keep us info'd mate. Much appreciated..
Old 30 November 2003, 09:35 AM
NeilWRX03
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the technical help Romping Armadillo - you must be in the industry! I've found the "warbling" or "bubbling" noise happens a lot, and right now I can only get stations you mention as being Digital 1 Ensemble (Classic FM, Core, etc).

I've fixed the volume parity problem, but I'm still sure FM sounds better when it's clear (as you say). Also, from what you say, would it be possible to make DAB sound as good with a proper graphic equaliser? I suppose that would then require a separate amp.

Alan, my aerial is literally on the backseat at the moment, and if I wave it about a bit (not recommended while driving!) it does seem to make a difference. I can't help but think it'll be better with it on the roof; that plus the upgrade should see me using the DAB far more.

Kernel, agree that the best reason for DAB is the range of stations (potentially!) - FM choice is R2, R4, classical music or local stations banging out the same choons. I think we can mentally tune out the FM hiss, so maybe the noise reduction with fully functioning DAB is not in itself worth the £200 or so premium.

It's a future proof thing as well. Jury still out perhaps.

I'm keeping the DAB now that my supplier has fixed my CD compatibility thing; so I'm now ICE'd up until I feel rich enough to do the speakers!

cheers all,
Neil

Old 30 November 2003, 04:04 PM
The Romping Armadillo
Scooby Regular

Yeah Neil, I work on the multiplexers that stream it all round the country and transmitters. Over in peterborough you should be able to get I think Digital 1 from peterborough transmitter, Peterborough Now ensemble from Peterborough and Huntingdon transmitters, the BBC National ensemble from Peterborough, Leicester Now from Houghton on the hill (the nearest) transmitter and you may just about get Norwich Now from Thetford if your lucky.