Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Subaru Head Unit Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2003, 10:06 AM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a (boring, black, basic) Subaru badged, Phillips casette head unit in with 6 CD changer (DC022) under the passeneger seat, factory fitted on a UK 98.

I tried swapping this out with a Sony unit but found that there wasn't enough connecters on the back to accomodate the CD changer.

The Sony had a special to type round plug whereas the 'Subaru' one had a square edge connector (this was extended from a DIN type connector)

Anyone know what type of head units I should be looking for (apart from Phillips) to do a straight swap (three large square edge connectors)? Second hand will do as I am not looking to upgrade speakers, amps etc etc at the mo.

Cheers guys...

Al.
Old 10 November 2003, 02:51 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

Al,

Sorry mate no idea as to your specific query, but if you decide to sell your original package and run the Sony, please drop me a mail as I'm looking for the complete Philips pack.

Cheers
Old 10 November 2003, 03:34 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

You can't connect a philips CD changer to a sony unit. Changers only work with their specific brand
Old 10 November 2003, 03:35 PM
ethanr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi m8,DC022 model,Correct me if im wrong but that sounds like a blaupunkt model unit,Three square plugs Hum!
Old 10 November 2003, 10:56 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Mr DBM...

No probs, I will keep you in mind as it does look like I'll have to replace both units. If I replace with a good package then I'm afraid you've lost out as I'll just put back the OEM fit and keep my good stuff!

Chiark...

Thanks mate, I had a few calls around today and the Phillips is quite old and will need to be completely replaced as Phillips themselves don't do those connectors on their current or badged models. So I'm now scouring the Sales list (and some mates) for any RDS/EON single CD headunits or changer units.

EthanR...

As posted m8, and defo Phillips..... Obviously a clash with Blaupunkt model numbers? The block connector to the back of the head unit is converted from a single din plug from the Changer. The other two block connectors to the head unit are the standard power/speaker inputs...