ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

The Best Most Powerful Door Speakers ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2003, 08:23 AM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheers all ill wait to see what the alpines sound like,

Smurph, 320 is a bit over my budget unfortinatly, as i feel that i really have to amp these speakers up to get the best out of any door speaker i put in.

[Edited by Brian the Sn@il - 11/1/2003 8:24:29 AM]
Old 30 October 2003, 02:57 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Question

I have some pants door speakers in my Sti Type R version 5.

Just installed a nice Alpine Mp3/CDR player and the speakers let the side down.

Now what are the best of the best Component Speakers i can get for the front doors ?

Old 30 October 2003, 03:05 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have you got 2,700 quid?

If so, go for the new Genesis drivers. You really can't go wrong. Decent amplification is a must, so I'd budget on a couple of grand for amplification.

There, the best of the best for you

(If this is OTT, perhaps you'd better give us a budget to work with?)

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 30 October 2003, 03:21 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

lol Nick !

i have 2.7 K but have better things to spend it on heheh. Its in the bank for the engine goes bang fund !

I would spend about £ 200 - £ 300 on a pair inc tweeters.

So we can now change the thread topic to the cheapest of the cheap component speakers !! LOL !

Cheers for the rapid reply Nick.

Old 30 October 2003, 03:22 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

no probs - what music do you like? And are you using an amplifier?
Old 30 October 2003, 03:27 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

No amp for the fronts using the 40 watt built into the head unit.

Music.. mm Daughter likes the Nursery Rymes, Wifie likes a bit of Rock, i like Rock and POP with some Radio 2 Tell boy mixed in as well !! LOL !

WIll be installing subs later, just need some nice clear powerful sound from the front area.

cheers,

Old 30 October 2003, 08:11 PM
Luke
BANNED

DLS,Focal,Infinity etc but not without aven a small amp...You only have a chip type thing in the head unit pretending to be a amp.....
Old 30 October 2003, 08:46 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

300squid will get you a lovely set of JL Audios. Or Rainbow, or Orion, or DLS, or MB Quart, or Infinity...

the hcoice really is upto you. but they all need amplification to make them work the way they should. without an amp, you'll be very dissapointed with the performance of any 150 speaker let alone £300 speaker!
Old 31 October 2003, 06:35 AM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Boston Pro's
Old 31 October 2003, 08:31 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I think my shortlist now would have Rainbow, DLS and Dynaudio on it (in no particular order) - and would be compared against my ageing but still great CDTAudio stuff...

You can run these off the head unit, but if you're investing in good speakers I would also plan on adding an amp sooner rather than later.

Old 31 October 2003, 11:35 AM
Hotpants
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Recently purchased the 6.5" Alpine spr176a's Type R's for £110 will be installing them shortly , hope they're alright if so I will let you know as these will only be run from the head unit aswell.(4x60)
Old 31 October 2003, 01:53 PM
smurph
Scooby Regular

****Focal Utopia 165w 2way comps*****

I have a set here for sale. Mids, tweets, crossovers. Only used for a few months from new, so nicely run in. Top of the range Focal comps. Winners on numerous sq competitions. They speak for themselves.

These retail for around £580. You can have them for a snip of that at £320 + p+p

I also have the perfect amp to power them for sale if you want an amp as well. Phoenix gold zx400ti. rrp £800. Yours for £300 + p+p

Email if interested. pics e.t.c

smurph
Old 31 October 2003, 08:36 PM
Luke
BANNED

Crystal and CDT also......
Old 01 November 2003, 12:28 PM
smurph
Scooby Regular

i may also accpet offers.

smurph
Old 01 November 2003, 12:33 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Make him an offer....Accept his offer.... Then someone sell him a amp..and he will be happy for the rest of his life..!!
Old 01 November 2003, 10:32 PM
Hotpants
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Will have to wait until next Friday for the Alpines to be fitted , waiting on delivery.Will post verdict then if it's still of interest to you.
Old 02 November 2003, 10:02 AM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

yep its looking good, i only use the type R once a week (sunday) to go to events etc, i use my Racing Caddy durung the week which has a rather larger budget ice install

so i dont want to go too mad on the scoob,

shes got some 6X9 in the rear parcel shelf which produce no bass, im picking up 2 15 inch subs tommorrow for 50 quid ! i have a 400 watt amp to power those old girls up, so as you can see the sound will be all **** ENDED !!! but should have the base !

smurph, if i only had some more money i would go for your set up you are selling mate as they sound the businness !!!!!!

Old 03 November 2003, 01:24 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Hmm

So your saying that you want to run fronts off the stereo and the subs from an amp

I dont think that'll sound too good as I think the subs will drown out the sound of the front speakers.........

You really should go for an amp - maybe second hand to run the fronts. Focal are a reasonable compromise - better than the harshness of some of the cheaper sounding alternatives (e.g. Infinity - but good on a budget) - though these were the Focal Polykevlar ones at about £300 - dont take too much to amp up either

I would'nt bother with Dynn's - unless you have a powerful amp - these will almost certainly not run off the head unit - It takes about 150wrms to run each side of these - compared to the Focals which can be comfortably run from about 70wrms (I'm talking proper amps like Genesis/Sounstream - not rubbish~)

I would agree that your going the right route with subs - even amped up 6*9's in Scoobs dont sound too good - I've tried enough speakers to test it!

I reckon you should look at getting something like Focal second hand and a second hand amp. I wouldnt pay over £300 for speakers - above this you very much get the law of diminishing returns and some dont sound that good anyway (personal preference) although the best set up I've heard in a few cars was Dynn Audio by a long way - blew the likes of Diamond Audio/Polk, etc to pieces - but they do cost about £400 (for 6.5's) - you would need a spacer for any decent front speaker as well as Dynamat for the doors and especially the Boot as well..........

If your only running the 2*15 inch subs through a 400w amp they wont be kicking out much bass. You really need a fair bit more due to the Subaru boot enclosure dulling a lot of the sound! - but at least at this level you should'nt need a Farad Capacitor
Old 03 November 2003, 01:25 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Hmm

So your saying that you want to run fronts off the stereo and the subs from an amp

I dont think that'll sound too good as I think the subs will drown out the sound of the front speakers.........

You really should go for an amp - maybe second hand to run the fronts. Focal are a reasonable compromise - better than the harshness of some of the cheaper sounding alternatives (e.g. Infinity - but good on a budget) - though these were the Focal Polykevlar ones at about £300 - dont take too much to amp up either

I would'nt bother with Dynn's - unless you have a powerful amp - these will almost certainly not run off the head unit - It takes about 150wrms to run each side of these - compared to the Focals which can be comfortably run from about 70wrms (I'm talking proper amps like Genesis/Sounstream - not rubbish~)

I would agree that your going the right route with subs - even amped up 6*9's in Scoobs dont sound too good - I've tried enough speakers to test it!

I reckon you should look at getting something like Focal second hand and a second hand amp. I wouldnt pay over £300 for speakers - above this you very much get the law of diminishing returns and some dont sound that good anyway (personal preference) although the best set up I've heard in a few cars was Dynn Audio by a long way - blew the likes of Diamond Audio/Polk, etc to pieces - but they do cost about £400 (for 6.5's) - you would need a spacer for any decent front speaker as well as Dynamat for the doors and especially the Boot as well..........

If your only running the 2*15 inch subs through a 400w amp they wont be kicking out much bass. You really need a fair bit more due to the Subaru boot enclosure dulling a lot of the sound! - but at least at this level you should'nt need a Farad Capacitor
Old 03 November 2003, 01:37 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Oops - Scoobynet not working properly
Old 03 November 2003, 01:50 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

agree with steve,

the dyns are very insensitive and need serious driving, but when they work, they will destroy most things.

Saying that my fave mids ever were the poly kevlar focals with the bullet dust cap. shame the tweeters were not up to matching the quality.

Bets speakers I have ever heard in a car were veritas 8 inch mids with horn loaded compression drivers mounted coaxially.

These were about £1000 but had everything. True single point source, seriously linear response, incredible tight bass (helped by enclosure in door and about 3 acres of dynamat) and increible imaging.

You wont get them to fit easily in an impreza door though.

After tomorrow, I will be installing my new system, and in the process ditching my JL audio components front and rear. These will probably be up for sale if anyone wants them.
Old 03 November 2003, 02:01 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Smile

cheers fangoria.

Im running a Digital amp in my caddy to power two 12 inch subs. Its a korka, wind it up and its still cool to the touch.
Cost me 300 notes though new.

So dont want to spend too much on the scoob.

Cheers for all the info peeps i appreciate it, many thanks.
Old 03 November 2003, 02:08 PM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

Hotpants,
I will be interested to know how you get on with the alpine Type R's, as I currently have the type S speakers in the front (smaller size though), and although they sound quite good, they are not really up to that much, so I was looking at getting the Type R's if they were that much better
Old 03 November 2003, 02:58 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Veritas........ wish I'd heard these.. outside my budget..

Then again I think at the last count last year I'd spent a little over £6k on a 'basic' stereo install........

I only ever wanted a 'little more sound'.......... If I could find some deep sounding 6*9's I'd be happy - then I'd comfortably keep up with the Bristol mad driving Ferrari 360 - clearly my weight and the Subs put me at a disadvantage against a guy who racers everyone and everything in Bristol in his virtually new Ferrari

If you dont come from Bristol - be warned that a Red 360 driven by someone who looks about 30 will race any Scoob!!! - he must have owned one!
Old 04 November 2003, 07:07 PM
Hotpants
Scooby Regular

Ragnarock2,
No worries , also fitting the type R 6x9's on the back shelf.Will keep in touch.Roll on Friday.
Old 05 November 2003, 01:26 AM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Brian,

£279.99 would get you some JL VR650 6.5" components, which I assume would fit in the front doors (I'm sure someone else could confirm that as I haven't had my Scoob for long and haven't checked myself).

I had these fitted by Huets (http://www.huetcaraudio.co.uk) into my MGF. They were the first set of "really expensive" speakers that I bought ..... making the transition from £70 Pioneers. They were definitely lacking a bit in the bass area (even with a little Phoenix Gold 90.2 amp) but, if you're fitting subs anyway, then the treble and midrange you get from these would be spot on. And I would think that they would run OK from your head unit - they are rated at 60w RMS and I've heard that Alpine are quite modest about their head unit outputs.
Old 07 November 2003, 05:14 PM
Chicken Man
Scooby Regular

Brian,

Maybe you should just amp up and cap off the DLS's you've already got.

They're not that bad as I recall
Old 07 November 2003, 05:36 PM
Hotpants
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well they're in & 1st impressions are pretty good. Typr r 6x9's in the back shelf & 6.5" type r components in the doors.
They certainly play loud & the clarity is superb. I'm well happy with the sound, it's nice & clear & just waiting for maybe a little sub to join in the party.
Old 07 November 2003, 07:19 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

LOL chicken man mate !! whats in the front then ?
Old 08 November 2003, 02:59 PM
Chicken Man
Scooby Regular

Talking

You've got DLS's in the doors!

Not sure what model coz they were in there when I bought the car but the guys at my local stereo shop - who fitted the alarm - remarked that they were pretty good speakers to have been given for nothing (dealer never mentioned them when I bought the car).

I admit they do pop and fart on full range but I'm sure a lot of speakers of that price/size/quality etc do as well.

Have you sorted your differances with Essex Sp Cars?

Quick Reply: The Best Most Powerful Door Speakers ?