Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

which is better speaker?

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2003, 05:18 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok guys, im looking at either the JL Audio XR650-CSi or the MB Quart PCE216 6.5" components to go in the front of the P1. im looking for a speaker that resonds well to fast music but can also deliver a natural sounding vocal on top of it... Im leaning towards the JLs but any advice woudl be greatful.

THey are most probably going to be run off a JL Audio 300/4 amp, though again, im tempted by the Phoenix Gold T600.4 Tantum series amp.

If it was your money, which set up would you guys go for? the budget is £800 for a ofur channel amp thats needs 75w RMS and a set of front 6.5" Components...
Old 25 September 2003, 07:18 PM
.derek.
Scooby Regular

haven't got the JL but i think the mb quarts are pretty good although their tweeters can get a bit harsh when it comes to high pitch tunes. alternatively, if you like warm tweets u can go for DLS and focals.

i've personally heard the mb Qs, dls and focals. DLS and focals are preferred. if you have the dosh, get the UR6 from DLS, very nice and thin for easy mounting. whereas the focals are an a*** to fit in because they're really big.

but the best bet is to visit a store and listen to them
Old 25 September 2003, 07:23 PM
.derek.
Scooby Regular

the jl audio i won't get because they're expensive over here but really cheap in the states... and they don't sound all that good

the pg ones are good but i think the latest ones aren't all they were cracked up to be... but the old ones (zx series) are good..

if u have the dosh (again!) .. look out for genesis series 3 and dls ultimates.. really good.. and this is an informed advise because i have the genesis and dls systems .. and used to like the pg ones.. but i'm still keeping the genesis and dls..so u know which i prefer..

but if u want MORE advise.. drop a line at www.talkaudio.co.uk .. lotsa ice gurus there
Old 25 September 2003, 08:32 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

thansk derek. im going over to the states pretty soon, so i might have a look at jus how much cheaper the JL stuff is... it would be pretty cool to get the w6 running off the 500/1. but thats way in the future...
Old 25 September 2003, 08:47 PM
.derek.
Scooby Regular

ahh.. well.. if u're going to the states then by all means get as much jl audio stuff as u can cos it's cheap (or as i've been told).

as far as it goes, w6v2 is good.. but if u can save enough dosh, the w7 is really worth it. or if not u can check out the SE12 or XXX models..
Old 25 September 2003, 09:41 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

i might shortlist those but would need to be convinced. I'd also add Focal, DLS, Dynaudio and CDTAudio to the list. And Crystal, a new brand but a nice brand. Oh, and Rainbow.

Sorry to widen the choice, but for the money I think you can do better.

I'd spend more on speakers and perhaps look to buy a second hand version of the amp you want. Amps in my experience last for years, and largely don't colour the sound nearly as much as speakers.

Speaker choice is a lot more critical than amps, and is down to personal taste...

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 25 September 2003, 09:43 PM
.derek.
Scooby Regular

yup, if u look on talkaudio, there're lots of very good second hand amps going for half the price.. just saw on series 3 five channel going for 350.

Trending Topics

Old 25 September 2003, 11:53 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

look at the construction of the speaker as well, the focals are deep - and as a side effect they are not the easiest to fit - but their depth and magent size means better speaker response quality etc. i did look and listen to some jls a while back but was unimpressed by them, and they were more expensive as well.

all personal choice, but make sure you add sound deadening to the inside of the doors to improve the performance and reduce road noise as well - for the sake of 20 quid or so it's well worth doing if you want to maximise the performance of a speaker upgrade.

there was a guy on CAD selling 3 Phase linear amps, 7 channels in all, for 450... would have had them if i didn;t have my genesis.
Old 26 September 2003, 08:21 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Si, I was sorely tempted by those phase linears too... But I think it'll have to be a davinci if I ever do change amp.
Old 26 September 2003, 10:01 AM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Try Boston Pro6.5...They are the nuts!
Old 26 September 2003, 10:49 AM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

nick, just imagine the install...