Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

help me out someone.......

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2003, 12:38 PM
micaAB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as you all probably know the standard stereo fitted to the my03 is a shambles.

i've got £500 to spend immediately, what should i spend it on to get a quick improvement (maybe spend more later - maybe not).

i have a kenwood 6 cd autochanger from my previous car that i can use.

advice would be gratfully received as i'm not up on car stereo stuff.
Old 08 September 2003, 01:23 PM
Luke
BANNED

Are you planning to do any of the work yourself??

I would sound deaden the doors youself. Its great fun and very rewarding when you hear the difference. Then uprade the speaker cables to the front doors. Dont worry too much about the rears. then have a good look around here for some nice 6.5 components to go in the front doors...maybe they will come with the spacers!!.

You then need to sort out the bass!! this is the hard bit due to so many different ways of doing it.If you fancy some killer bass ..buy that 13.inch Focal for sale somewhere on here!! but depends on if you need your boot space.

Amp the front speakers and run the rears from the H/U.

You will be amazed how much bass a 8.inch will give in a custom enclosure sitting behing the drivers seat. So small and passengers will just have theie feet a bit higher... The sound is much nicer been closer to the front. Thats what I did in my legacy anf the whole sound was great.
Old 08 September 2003, 01:25 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Change the head unit and front speakers.

Budget on 300 for head unit and 200 for speakers and you'll have a great basic setup that'll sound excellent. In the future if you get enthusiastic and want more you can amp up the front speakers and add a sub if that floats your boat.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 08 September 2003, 01:28 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

...and as Luke says, 30 quid for some sound deadening in the doors makes a *huge* difference
Old 08 September 2003, 01:56 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

For what it's worth, I took this advice and did exactly that.

Change headunit and front speakers and the difference is amazing. Whilst you have the door cards off do the dynamat stuff. I followed the instructions on Chiarks website and it was very very easy.website
Old 08 September 2003, 02:16 PM
Twohot
Scooby Regular

Have u got an email addy at all? Ive got some nice 6.5s for the fronts, a nice kenwood amp (for sale in the ice section). Ive also got a couple of JL subs and an enclosure for them. Ill get the details of them tonight so if you give me ur email ill send u them later.
Ben
Old 08 September 2003, 05:15 PM
micaAB
Scooby Regular

big thanks to all of you, exactly what i needed cos i am such a novice on car stereos.

looks like it'll be the head unit and fronts with the sound deadening for the time being.

i was planning on doing the fit myself but i'll see how i feel at the time.

Twohot - andybroad@yahoo.co.uk - is me, but not too sure if i'll consider the amp+sub yet - we'll see

thanks again guys.

PS. you may well see me again on here soon asking if my choices are correct.