ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Sony CDXMP40 - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2003, 03:32 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have a Sony CDXMP40?

Seems good value for £125 (at MCS-direct) or is it worth paying twice the amount for an Alpine or whatever?

Cheers
Gary.

[Edited by GaryCat - 8/3/2003 3:32:51 PM]
Old 03 August 2003, 03:56 PM
Blue_Boy
Scooby Regular

No it's just good value (unless your into sounds in which case something a little bit more up market). Or your into gadget's - it's not very gadgety this headunit.
Old 03 August 2003, 07:32 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Not really into gadgets, I just want to be able to play MP3s off CDRs & CDRWs and have decent RDS capable radio reception. I've always bought Kenwood in the past but don't like the styling of their new units.

G.
Old 03 August 2003, 09:35 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've got one. Bought from MCS. I like it, alot. Basically does exactly what it says on the tin.

There's no waste of money dancy visual display (what's the point? You're supposed to be looking at the road!). Load in time seems okay - it works with normal CDs, CD-Rs etc. Plus it handles nested-folder MP3 data CDs.

There are options for repeating tracks, albums etc. You can skip tracks, and if your car has a hands-free phone, there's an ATT option for the muting of sound when a call comes in, and there are connections on the back for changers and amps etc.

There are several preset sound set-ups, like you get on Hi-Fis, but you also have a "personal" setting, that allows you to set the Bass, Mid and Treble to what you want.

Plus, best of all, as far as I am concerned - it has DSO (Dynamic Sound ermmm something ) which raises the sound from the footwell speakers in a car with no dashboard tweeters, to make it sound like it has... and it works.

And, as yet, despite driving flat out over some of the bumpiest roads I have encountered, it has yet to skip.

There's even a remote control, which to be honest, is totally pointless. But I suppose it might keep the kids happy in the back, if you have any... and you haven't locked 'em in an air-tight box in the boot, where they belong...

If, like me, you were (are) looking for a cheap system, that plays CDs, plus MP3 CDs, with decent sound and all the options, then this fits the bill. I am very happy with the system, and when you can fit 7 albums on MP3 format on to 1 CD, who the hell needs a CD changer?

Oh yeah - the front comes off, and if you forget, it bleeps at you a few times, to remind you. For the price, it's a steal.

Duck.