ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

JL Audio vs Infinity

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2000, 11:10 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm gonna do the decent thing and fit some quality speakers in the RB5 (for listening to whilst stuck in traffic jams, Prodrive zourst is the only sound I wanna here whilst driving). Can anyboby recommend either of the above???

Has anyone got them fitted in their Scooby??
Old 04 June 2000, 11:37 AM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Both good speakers but I have found that the Infinity are very musical but lacking. the best all rounder JL

Saj
S3 WRC
Old 04 June 2000, 10:15 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Is this for front speakers or Subwoofers?!

How much do you have to spend?

For front speakers I originally choose Infinity a while back - they sounded pretty natural. They lacked a bit of midbass kick and in the end I changed them for Dynaudios (different price bracket though).

For a subwoofer, the JLs take a lot of beating but a cheap sub in a properly designed/built box (for that sub) will almost always sound better than an expensive sub chucked into whatever box was lying around.

I'll be fitting a load of kit into my RB5 in the next week or so (including the 'old' Infinity 60CS for the rear) so let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 05 June 2000, 09:13 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

JL's but both need a decent amp to get the best.
Old 05 June 2000, 07:26 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Many thanks
I was leaning towards the JL anyway...more so now

DomA&KimA
Old 06 June 2000, 10:32 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Lean back before you fall on your face.

JL component speakers are all right but they are trading on their sub reputation and don't desreve it at all.

Know of a company that have 8 blown up pairs in stock at the mo as the mids can't handle the bass and the crossover isn't providing the right protection.

Dyn audios, well, what can I say? excellent choice. All personal preference, as long as there are no manufacturing problems with a speaker it all comes down to whether or not you like the sound. Personally, I think most people would like focal, getting a bit big for their boots charging loads now but bass from them is stonking (havn't used that word for ages). I have never seen a midrange driver kick like that before.

Diamond audio, expensive but great none the less, seem to be getting excellent reviews, couldn't possibly comment on reliabilty yet though.

Dyns are my favourite but not to everyones taste. smooth, dynamic, responsive but take a lot of setting up to get right and can't handle a lot of power.

Lee made the best point though. Amp is critical.