ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Mstation problem

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2003, 09:35 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Had my Mstation for about 2 years now. This week it has suddenly started hanging, only noticed it happening when I first start unit up.

"Turn unit on, select track, after 10 secs or so track stops, display shows track name but 0:00(as though at beginning). Press play a couple of times, unit goes to standby. Turn off and on, maybe happens again 2 or 3 times before playing track ok."

Anyone else had this problem. May have to invest in a new one - Dension maybe.
Old 03 July 2003, 11:28 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you re-initialise the Mstation hard disk in any way. I have a Dension myself and you can easily format the hard disk and re-install the system if necessary. not sure if this can be done on your MStation.

Stefan
Old 03 July 2003, 12:09 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Hi MattW

A bit worrying as it's coming up for two years since I got mine.

What PC interface are you using (IDE or USB)? Does the HD work fine when you connect to a PC?

Other things to check.....
Wiring to/from Mstation (including wired remote), Mstation cooling fan, health of your battery.
Does it hang when the car's engine is running only or if the car is stopped too?

Vindaloo.
Old 03 July 2003, 03:24 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Check the power side, the mstation can be pretty flakey to any spikes or poor power supply etc.

Old 03 July 2003, 03:40 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ozzy - Yes I could - But it means copying 10Gb of music to my pc and back again. Last resort I feel.

Vindaloo - Its IDE, not connected to pc for some weeks, this has only started happening last couple of days.
Mstation is under passenger seat in car fed power from ignition same as head unit. No probs with head unit, and the mstation doesnt actually cut out at all, no crackles or pops either, just stops playing and goes to beginning of track. Car is STi7, so battery is a big *****, and only a year old. Besides starts the car ok

ianc - Would I not see the mstation lose power or pop and crackle through speakers?

Wondering whether the HDD is on way out.

Been listening to Maiden's Rock in Rio last few days, maybe it was that
Old 03 July 2003, 03:51 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

No, the mstation appears to run fine apart from the locking up - had this mainly with a home bay, but once in car also when voltage was low. Is your batt \ alternator etc all ok?

After going back to the US several times, I ended up putting a new PSU in the homebay, was fine after that.

Alternatively possibly a drive on it's way out - run it consistantly in the PC for a few hours and see if you have any probs?

IC