Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

MP3 in the news...

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2003, 11:54 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what does everyone think of the music giants saying they'll sue mp3 downloaders? Surely Sony et al have tapped onto this through their mp3 portable players, and these millions of downloaders are taking advantage of technologies that have been made available and developed by these companies?

Thoughts on this? A bit off the ice topic, but since every manufacturer makes at least 1 mp3 compatable player for the car, aren't they liable for 'aiding and abetting'?
Old 01 July 2003, 09:42 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

I think it's a case of they'd like to be able to sue all the downloaders, but realistically can't as the number of cases would be too great.

Just another example of the music industry whinging because people finally have an alternative to having to buy music on CDs at rip off prices. If CDs were all as cheap as they are in places like FOPP, say £5 for a new album, then I for one wouldn't bother risking the likes of Kazaa for a track I wanted.

I much prefer to have the proper CD than something codged together from MP3s from the net.
Old 01 July 2003, 12:51 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I did hear this about 6 months ago. It's a bizzare situation, sueing the customer (or potential customer).

Basically these companies are under threat, they're selling less units year on year, so they're looking for the reasons and someone to blame.

It's amusing to think that companies that stymied DAT because of squabbles about 'perfect copying' and loss of revenues now find themselves without a product that can be used online to licence music effectively.

Vindaloo.
Old 01 July 2003, 04:55 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

They're basing their business model on 50 year old practises and have not moved with technology.

The music industry keeps pumping and hyping crap.

They've found a scapegoat and, to mix metaphors, are milking that for all it's worth.