ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

12" Kicker Solobarics....Help please

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2003, 05:16 AM
Infinity
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am planning on running two 4 ohm 12" Kicker solobaric subs from a pheonix gold M44 amp. Each in there own enclosure. I need the following questions answered please:-
How big an enclosure do they need (cubic feet)? Does it need to be ported? If so what size of port do they need?
Thanks in advance
Martin
Old 09 June 2003, 08:50 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Generically speaking, any sub will work in either a sealed or ported box. As a rule of thumb, sealed will give a smoother response, porting will give you a louder box at the expense of some control.

If you parallel two of the woofers up and put them across a single channel, you'll be giving the channel a 2 ohm load. In this config, the amp will put around 100W out if PG specs are to be believed. That isn't a huge amount for 2 woofers, but it should move 'em.

I wouldn't run them down to 1 ohm bridged, which is another wiring option (parallel them all together and bridge the amp)

As for box size, it'll be a compromise between boot space and response - how much can you afford to lose, space wise?
Old 09 June 2003, 04:35 PM
rockinRu
Scooby Regular

What model 12 are you going for?

Old 09 June 2003, 09:18 PM
Infinity
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hello Chiark
Planning on going for a monster build in the boot. I want the two subs to face into the car and sit under the 'parcel shelf' so that when you drop the seat backs you can see the subs. A false floor which will hide the alpine amp ( a mrv-f 407 would this be better for the subs?) the PG M44 the 4 crossovers for my two sets of 605cs components, the 1 farad cap, distribution and fuse blocks. I am going to sink one of my spare 18" diablos into the spare wheel well, with a neon or two under it so the blue light shines through the spokes So loss of space really is not an issue.

I am hoping to run either the s12l7-4 solobaris or the S12L54 solobarics

What is the better sub? Or is that a stupid question?

Thanks again

Martin