Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Dynamat Question from a Novice

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2003, 09:35 AM
GW2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone got a guide on 'how to dynamat' the front door of an MY03. I guess it will be similar to older models, but I just wondered where you stick (or spray) the stuff. Is it the back of the external panel, the back of the internal panel??

If Dynamat is not the best stuff anymore, what is??

Also what do you use for stopping the speakers from getting wet as my last ones in the MY00 got a bit damp at the bottom.

Ian
Old 05 June 2003, 09:48 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Ian,

I've some pics of the dynamat install to my MY99 RB5 on my website.

Basically, I just went for the speaker pad (about 12" square). This sticks onto the face of the door under the vapour barrier.

First you have to peel back the plastic vapour barrier, then I had to cut a hole out of the dynamat for the speaker to fit through. I just heated the dynamat with a hairdryer to make it much more plyable, then just peeled back the plastic (from the sticky side of the dynamt) and just slowly pressed into onto the door.

I used a small decorating roller to mold it around the bends and creases on the door panel. That was more or less all I needed to do.

The only issue I had with the dynamt is the blue logo flaked off when I was rolling it onto the door and left little blue flecks all over the place. Took me longer to wipe all those off than it did fitting the mat.

I guess if you wanted to do the whole door, it would be the same procedure, but you'd need to remove the vapour barrier sheet completely and make more cutouts for the door handle, brackets, etc..

I've heard good reports about the noisekiller products.

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 05/06/2003 09:53:24]
Old 05 June 2003, 06:52 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

You also get a big benefit by putting some on the outer doorskin, to stop panel resonance. As a minimum, I'd suggest putting some bits into any large flat expanses of panel.

There is even a benefit of fitting some to the inside of the door card to stop that vibrating, but by this stage, you are into diminishing returns.
Old 06 June 2003, 08:46 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

GW, cover any large areas with the dynamat, if you want to cut down on the cost you can cut the matting into strips and apply it that way and it still has a reasonable effect, IMO covering the outer doorskin will give the largest benefits as it is one sheet of metal, next the area surrounding the speaker mount as that will cut down on the vib's in that direct area. Before you apply the matting it's a good idea to clean the area first with some white spirit/meths on a rag this will get rid of and nasty grease etc and allow the matting to get a better bond and as has been said already heat the matting and use a small decorators roller to smooth it out once in place.
Old 06 June 2003, 09:17 AM
GW2000
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice......I'll give it a go, once I've found my jigsaw for the MDF spacer