Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Under-seat fitting of autochanger

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 1999, 11:46 AM
DavidP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told today by a dealer that they couldn't fit a cd autochanger under the seat because the seats are pre-tensioned (whatever that means). Anybody care to comment on this? With this also in mind, does anybody have any experience with fitting a 10 disk sized unit into a 99 5 door anywhere other than the boot, and if so where did you put it?
Old 28 March 1999, 02:15 PM
ChrisH
Scooby Newbie

Well a 6 disk changer fits perfectly OK under the seat as thats where mine is at the moment. Due to the size difference that a 10 disk changer is I can well believe that there will not be enough room for it as the 6 disk changer is a nice sung fit, doesn't touch when a passenger on the seat, the 10 disk I have as well would hit be sat on!

Chris.
Old 29 March 1999, 08:39 PM
RobScreene
Scooby Regular

An Alpine 12-disc will fit below/in-front of the passenger seat bucket. The seat only drops low in the middle, where your bottom is.

Push the seat back and the CD changer drops in front. Move the seat back forward and the changer is under your legs. The player skipped once a few weeks ago going hard across some rough surfaced back-road (i.e. it's fine).

The downside is that the passenger seat can go no further forward than I normally have my driver's side set to, so tall passengers suffer a little when in the back to the left as on the right.

It's really nice to have the extra 6 discs in there, but I would probably go with a little 6 disc model, unless I already had the bigger changer (as I did).

Rob.