ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Connecting Mobile phone to head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2000, 12:48 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK, so the only scooby relevance here is that the mobile and head unit are in the WRX Wagon.

Anyway.

Anyone know what I need (part no, supplier, etc) and how to connect a Nokia 5110 phone to my Clarion ARX8670Rz head unit??

Oh, I should add that I have contacted Clarion GB and they said
<QUOTE>"unable to assist you as the part you are looking for is not currently avalable at Clarion GB."</QUOTE>

[This message has been edited by Markus because he's a gimp and forgot to add additional information! (edited 05-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Markus (edited 05-05-2000).]
Old 05 May 2000, 01:58 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

What exactly are you looking to achieve?

Does your heasdunit have an input ofr cellular phone mute?

If so you will either need a car kit or a hands free kit and a multimeter.

The cellular phone mute cable just takes a low voltage input to instruct the unit to mute and display the phone ringing on the front. Therefore there is only one wire in which is power.

This normally comes from installing a permanent car kit available from nokia fro your phone, I believe it is the same as the 6110, 6150, and 7110. These are about £200.

My old head unit (becker) allowed you to input the sound from the phone and output it through the speakers but that is a bit irritating in terms of wiring. The standard car kit should have a radio muting output for this purpose taht simply needs to be connected.

The cheaper option, although I haven't done this, is to connect a handsfree kit to the mobile and open up the plug on the bottom of the phone. Use a multimeter and try to establish which pins of the multiplug constitute power and earth. You need to find the power pin which is only on when the phone is ringing and in a call.

If you can find this, connect it to the back of the unit and connect the plug to thephone whenever in the car.

Not tidy or as stylish as the car kit way but much cheaper if you can be ar5ed.
Old 05 May 2000, 02:50 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Adam:
Cheers for the info.

Just for clarity. The unit does have special options for dealing with cellular phones, eg; muting and routing sound through the cars speakers.

I think the car kit is probably the best/easiest option to go for.

thanks
Old 05 May 2000, 04:55 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I have to be honest, I find these more a hindrance than a bonus. They add weight as there are several messy interconnecting modules to include and the wiring often gets irritating. But then I like things to be neat and tidy. The other problem is where to mount the cradle. Try not to drill through the dash as it doesn't look good when it comes to selling.

I also change my phone far too often which means changing the car kit each time. You cannot buy a new cradle separately, you must buy the whole kit which is as I said £200 a time if they will supply it unfitted.

Labour on fitting is roughly £100 but it is easy to do yourself depending on how confident you are.

I wouldn't bother personally. The 5110 is ageing now, so wait till you change your phone first then think about it.
Old 05 May 2000, 05:02 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Adam:
you've got a good point. I don't use the phone that much anyway, even less so in the scoob. I have a hands-free adapter anyway, so I guess the car kit would not add much benefit anyway.

cheers
Old 05 May 2000, 08:11 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Yep
Assuming you are trying to mute the car stereo and put the phone through your car speakers try:
EBS
01604 585802(w) 0973 228661(wm)
Ask for Brian Harris. Brian is their installations manager, he fitted it to my system recently.

As soon as the phone rings or i press the send button my stereo mutes, it come back on when the call is dropped.

P.S. Vent shment!
Paul habgood
Old 05 May 2000, 08:15 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Industrial Strength Velco

I got it from Canford Audio some time ago. I believe they are based in Cambridgeshire. Couldn't find a number in my book.
Try car audio shops or music shops

PH

Trending Topics

Old 05 May 2000, 08:18 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Industrial Strenght Velcro post above

Just in case anyone woders why i have posted that here - i got the wrong post, it was for one of Marks's earlier posts

DOH!

PH