Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Which type of underlay

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2003, 02:24 PM
_Tim_
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to cover my boot in carpet underlay to go with the Dynamat like substance I put in yesterday (trying to quieten down the Afterburner back box!), since from what I've read this also helps nicely.

I'm sure there's more than one type of underlay, so has anyone got any advice as to which type is best? Planning on visiting a carpet warehouse on teh way home and getting some.
Old 22 April 2003, 05:26 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Cheapo stuff that's a mixture of multiple grades of fabric does it for me. It's the absolute cheapest that they'll do
Old 22 April 2003, 10:23 PM
_Tim_
Scooby Regular

Thanks chiark, didn't get round to it tonight as replacing the lambda sensor took priority.

Where do you think is the best place to put the stuff? Just under the boot floor cover (I've got a Wagon) or line the whole well as well? Or both? Doubled up layers make a difference?

I've bought some dynamat-in-a-can stuff as well, might give the rear arches a good old squirt. Any tips/do's/don'ts here?

Thanks! (and for the web site, been very handy with my ice fiddling this weekend)
Old 23 April 2003, 02:11 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I just placed one layer over the boot floor. Worked for me...

The spray stuff should be good. Remove all your boot trim and take it from there
Old 23 April 2003, 02:24 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just went along to the local retail park - Carpet Wise or something. I asked if they had any off-cuts and the bloke pointed me to a huge mass of the stuff at the back of the store. For a £5 charity donation, he said I could take as much as I could carry

I picked some heavy orange stuff that the bloke said was the best for cutting down on noise. I lined the boot (cut too the shape of the boot carpet), under the rear seat and the rear and front floor pans. I used two layers of the stuff (about 8mm) and it worked a treat.

A lot of the noise comes through the door skins and the wheel arches, so I plan on getting some proper Dynamat or Brown Bread for those.

Here's a pic of the stuff I managed to get.

Stefan