replacement trim?

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2000, 08:09 AM
db
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi guys,

I've just replaced my Addzest thing with a Sony MDX7970R (don't flame me for buying Sony!!!). I have managed to install this head unit OK, but I can only position this in the bottom of the double din slot. If I try and position in the top part, the surround trim rubs on the opening (face off) maechanism. The main probelm here is poor quality trim fitting, it is not straight.

Is there a replacemt trim surround for an sti V that provides easier fitting for single din units? If so what does it look like and has anyone used it?

If not, can anyone recommend a double din minidisc player? (in dash player), price not important, but must fit in existing trim surround.

Cheers

db.

ps, changed my front speakers to Infinity Kappas (6"), what a transformation in sound!!! I have damped the door trim with the stick on brown bread type stuff and I am just about to fit soundproofing felt inside to door trim to fill the voids, how much of this stuff should you put in, I was considering filling the voids sufficiently so that there is slight pressure required to re-fit the door trim, will this be too much? a friend tells me that you can bugger the bass response by overdoing the soundproofing.

One last question - I've seen a few bass tubes for about £60 that have an amplifier built in and have a range of about 200W, are these any good? They are called MAXI BASS as seen in Demon Tweeks.

cheers.
Old 15 April 2000, 02:29 PM
db
Scooby Regular

no replies

Anyway, I've bought it now

Does anyone know which is the +ve speaker wire on the rear speaker terminals (the plastic connection bit) on an Sti V?

Cheers

Dave
Old 16 April 2000, 08:48 PM
db
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm probably talking to myself, but never mind

I fiited the MAXI BASS today, it's OK but not quite what I expected. I think in the long run I will change it for a custom built Bass Box with something like a 10 or 12" speaker and a seperate AMP.

What is the best way to fix a bass box to the boot floor, for the MAXI BASS tube I installed, I mounted it on MDF and velcro'd the DMF to the boot floor, are there better ways? Also, when fitting a custom built box, is there anywhere I should not put it? I'm thinking of putting it in front of the jack compartment with the spaker facing left to right (when looking into the boot).

Cheers

Dave
Old 17 April 2000, 07:54 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Personally I've only just realised the site is back up!
On my MY94 WRX I found some plastic screw mounts in the bottom of the boot. I used that to mount a wooden base, then drilled 2 holes in each wheel arch and fitted a cross brace. With that you can build just about anything, including a false bottom where you can fit a door to access the spare, and amps etc. It depends how serious you wanna get. The best bet is to get a custom built box and have it fitted to the triangular area at the back right by the rear cluster. There is ample room for acoustics.
Probably not what you want to hear, but it is 7:30am
Old 17 April 2000, 01:47 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Easy and neat way to mount it taht still allows it to be removed.

Take out the rear carpet. On the bottom of the carpet mark wheer you would like the base of the box to sit (you will need to check this when the carpet is in place in the boot). Draw round the box on the bottom of carpet. Cut strips of mdf about 0.75 to 1 inch high to go around the box. Screw some strip bracket onto the outline of the box through the carpet and into the mdf strips.

When you replacve the carpet in the boot you will have a secure outline that the box can sit in. Even though the mdf is only an inch high, the barrier will mean that the box has to roll over it to come out of position. This has never happened to me in any car so this should be sufficient for your needs.

Good luck.
Old 17 April 2000, 02:56 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by db:
<B>Hi guys,
ps, changed my front speakers to Infinity Kappas (6"), what a transformation in sound!!! I have damped the door trim with the stick on brown bread type stuff and I am just about to fit soundproofing felt inside to door trim to fill the voids, how much of this stuff should you put in, I was considering filling the voids sufficiently so that there is slight pressure required to re-fit the door trim, will this be too much? a friend tells me that you can bugger the bass response by overdoing the soundproofing.

One last question - I've seen a few bass tubes for about £60 that have an amplifier built in and have a range of about 200W, are these any good? They are called MAXI BASS as seen in Demon Tweeks.

cheers.[/quote]

db

Sorry for lack of reply- didn't know the site was back (phew).
I needed to ask what you finally used for the soundproofing (Brown Bread). I don't like the rattles I currently have in my doors.

I would have warned you against the 'cheap option' of an amplified basstube. The ones I've seen havn't been that good. With the quality Infinity speakers you have put in already this seems like a bit of a comedown. As you have already said though the separate amp for a non-amplified box is far better quality (and allows for more upgrade potential :-) )

Cheers
Joolz

Old 17 April 2000, 02:58 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by db:
<B>Hi guys,

cheers.[/quote]

db

Sorry for lack of reply- didn't know the site was back (phew).
I needed to ask what you finally used for the soundproofing (Brown Bread). I don't like the rattles I currently have in my doors.

I would have warned you against the 'cheap option' of an amplified basstube. The ones I've seen havn't been that good. With the quality Infinity speakers you have put in already this seems like a bit of a comedown. As you have already said though the separate amp for a non-amplified box is far better quality (and allows for more upgrade potential :-) )

Cheers
Joolz

Trending Topics

Old 18 April 2000, 08:23 AM
db
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Guys,

Adam, what is strip bracket, and how do you stop the whole assembly (including carpet) moving aroound in the boot? Sounds like a good idea though.

What I have purchased, and hopefully it will turn up today is as follows,

MB Quart 10" 250.98 sub (with box and mesh grill, 1' cubed area)
Rockford Fosgate PUNCH 100A2 which has an output of about 200W when bridged (I think).

All in £300 with connector leads and stuff.

Sold to me by a guy from New Image Car HiFi.

As far as fitting the box goes, I am considering building an mdf shelf at the rear of the boot (over the fuel tank access panels) on which I can screw the sub box onto (or place some mdf trim round it similar to Adams suggestion) and I can also put the amp next to the box. The whole unit will be modular so I can easily take it all out.

What do you think of the amp and speaker, any good The sales chap sold it to me after we discussed my music tastes, Bangin dance to Heavy Metal

jbryant - I used some stuff similar to brown bread, can't remember it's name, but I'm not sure I put it in the right place . Most people have mentioned that this should be fitted to the metal, I have fitted it to the actual door trim on the inside, to finish this off I will be putting some soundproofing felt in between the door trim and the dry liner to eleiminate further rattles from the doors, I read somewhere on this BBS that someone had done something similar and worked a treat.

cheers

dave

[This message has been edited by db (edited 18-04-2000).]
Old 02 May 2000, 07:48 AM
db
Scooby Regular

Cool

finished the install of my amp and sub-woofer yesterday. What a difference it makes!!!!!!

Completely transformed the sound in the car, incredible

I'll post some pictures later..

Thanks to all for all the help.

Dave